Applying for new visa after failed marriage

Cmel

Hi folks,

I am currently in Australia on a temporary partner visa (820). Unfortunately my relationship didn't work out. But my life is here now so I'm going to apply for another visa in the hopes of staying.

My question is when should I put the new application in? Should I cancel the partner visa then apply, or apply first before notifying them of the end if the relationship?

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Hi folks,

I am currently in Australia on a temporary partner visa (820). Unfortunately my relationship didn't work out. But my life is here now so I'm going to apply for another visa in the hopes of staying.

My question is when should I put the new application in? Should I cancel the partner visa then apply, or apply first before notifying them of the end if the relationship?

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

You cannot cancel your visa. You can notify the DIBP about the change in your circumstances and you would probably be sent a notice of intention to cancel, depending on your circumstances. It can be noted that the department has recently applied Regulation 4020, that deals with bogus documents and false or misleading information, to an applicant who failed to notify a change in circumstances; relationship breakdown. I strongly advise you to consult a registered migration agent to develop a strategy.