cost????

Guest mumsy

Hi all

Just wondering the average cost of car tax and insurance in oz???

We are planning on buying a car when we get there, but just need a little more info.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Amy and family

Its variable, much like here, depending on the car/engine size etc. Don't forget you may also have stamp duty on any vehicle you buy. I know the cost of cars is more expensive (hubby is not looking forward to this on moving back) but fuel is cheaper. It never fails to amaze me at how many old cars there are still on the road in Aus, people keep fixing them and they keep on driving :)

Buying a car in Australia – What You Need To Know

A Guide to Motor Vehicle & Car Stamp Duty - Car Finance - Stratton Finance

Don't quote me on this but it may be possible to transfer your no claims bonus from here to there also. Just ensure you look into this and have the correct paper work with you when you move. I know I've transferred between countries before without any hassle.

Another ex pat website for Brits has loads of info on all this stuff. Check out the britsinoz site and look up their vehicle info section.

I'd personally go through an online application or two and get some quotes for vehicles you'd be considering. No harm. I know when we move back we will probably need to have two cars again and we have an idea of what we will go for. I'll check current car prices and go get some quotes from insurance so we have an idea of expenses before moving.

I'm sure there will be others along with more info for you later :)

Its variable, much like here, depending on the car/engine size etc. Don't forget you may also have stamp duty on any vehicle you buy. I know the cost of cars is more expensive (hubby is not looking forward to this on moving back) but fuel is cheaper. It never fails to amaze me at how many old cars there are still on the road in Aus, people keep fixing them and they keep on driving :)

Buying a car in Australia – What You Need To Know

A Guide to Motor Vehicle & Car Stamp Duty - Car Finance - Stratton Finance

Don't quote me on this but it may be possible to transfer your no claims bonus from here to there also. Just ensure you look into this and have the correct paper work with you when you move. I know I've transferred between countries before without any hassle.

Another ex pat website for Brits has loads of info on all this stuff. Check out the britsinoz site and look up their vehicle info section.

I'd personally go through an online application or two and get some quotes for vehicles you'd be considering. No harm. I know when we move back we will probably need to have two cars again and we have an idea of what we will go for. I'll check current car prices and go get some quotes from insurance so we have an idea of expenses before moving.

I'm sure there will be others along with more info for you later :)

Thanks ever so much, ill give those sites a go.

amy

Guest The Morleys

Hi Amy and family

We were on a budget and bought a car yesterday. Second hand cars do seem a little more expensive over here. We bought 97 Mitsibushi Magna estate, 3 ltr, 145km's fsh $4500. The insurance came in at $49 per month, fully comp and fully protected for the wife(29) and I(39). Dont forget here that you have to pay rego which is a little like road tax but it also covers you for 3rd party(body only) insurance (i think thats right). If you want anymore specifics please do not hesitate to get in touch. Marcus.

Guest tinkham_lee

You can use your English no claims with some insurance companies, I know with Budget Insurance you can, but you need to provide a proof of no claims. Car Tax or Rego varies depending on the number of cylinders the car has, and if you live in a metro or rural area.

I have a 97 Mitsubishi Verada, 3.5 V6 rego is $600 a year,

My partners Rav 4 2ltr 4 cylinder is $500 a year I think (both cars registered in rural area, its slightly more expensive in metro area)

I'm 23 with 4 years English no claims and I just paid $500 for fully comp insurance and anyone over 21 is insured to drive it.

Your rego includes third party injury insurance (which is the minimum insurance cover required, so your covered if you injure someone) buying car Insurance is not compulsory but is advised.