Bonfire night

Guest gigglesf

Guest dglamoore

As we are now in fire ban season don't think this will happen :v_SPIN: :biglaugh:

No really - bonfire night is an english event to remember the houses of parliament attacks which would not be celebrated elsewhere :cute:

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Guest gigglesf

Just thought some one may have been having a get together. i am not stupid enough to think there may have been bonfires or fire works but thanks for the replies.

made me feel really welcome

Guest Guzzler&Sas
As we are now in fire ban season don't think this will happen :v_SPIN: :biglaugh:

No really - bonfire night is an english event to remember the houses of parliament attacks which would not be celebrated elsewhere :cute:

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Hi,

Not wanting to appear pedantic but besides England the rest of the UK celebrate, plus the following which I lifted from Wikipedia

It is primarily marked in the United Kingdom, but also in former British colonies including New Zealand, parts of Canada, and parts of the British Caribbean.[citation needed] Bonfire Night was also common in Australia until the 1980s[citation needed], but it was held on the Queen's Birthday long weekend in June.

Festivities are centred around the use of fireworks and the lighting of bonfires.

Southern hemisphere

Bonfire Night/Guy Fawkes Night (and the weekend closest to it) is the main night for both amateur and official fireworks displays in the UK and New Zealand.

In Australia, Guy Fawkes Night is mostly known simply as Bonfire Night and bears little connection to its original purpose.[citation needed] Celebration of Bonfire Night has died down due to the banning of fireworks in most states and territories to prevent their misuse.

The day was moved[when? — see talk page] to a more suitable time of year due to the threat of bush fires in the dry Australian summer.

In New Zealand, the retail sale of personal use fireworks is permitted to those 18 and older, and may now only be sold on the 4 days leading to Guy Fawkes Night. Firecrackers have been banned since 1993, and rockets or any firework where the firework itself flies have been banned since 1994. Despite these sales restrictions, there is actually no restriction on when one may light fireworks, only a restriction on when they may be sold. Despite the insistence of most anti-fireworks campaigners, the continuing "mad rush" of fireworks sales show that New Zealanders still appreciate fireworks and/or Guy Fawkes. [1] [2]

[edit] Caribbean

In the Caribbean nation of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, this is a very exciting night in the town of Barrouallie, on the main island of St. Vincent's leeward side. The town's field comes ablaze as people come to see all of the traditional pyrotechnics.

Guzzler

Guest dglamoore
Just thought some one may have been having a get together. i am not stupid enough to think there may have been bonfires or fire works but thanks for the replies.

made me feel really welcome

Ok I give up :huh:

Smilies indicate humour :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

This forum used to have a great light hearted and helpful feeling which is fast going down the pan

Lisa

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Ok I give up :huh:

Smilies indicate humour :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

This forum used to have a great light hearted and helpful feeling which is fast going down the pan

Lisa

Sorry you feel this way Lisa all I have stated is a FACT that parts of the Commonwealth celebrate this event and just not England, not sure why this indicates the forum is going down the pan.

Guzzler

Guest dglamoore
Sorry you feel this way Lisa all I have stated is a FACT that parts of the Commonwealth celebrate this event and just not England, not sure why this indicates the forum is going down the pan.

Guzzler

Nothing to do with your reply - just the overall feel on here lately. Everyone so quick to snipe at each other or outdo each other :huh:

At least now I know it is all english colonies and not just the english, they say you learn something new every day :D:D although bonfire night without a bonfire or fireworks just won't be the same !!

See you soon x

Lisa:cute:

Guest shakira

YEP WE HAVIN A PARTY FOR BONFIRE NITE.....WITH NO FIRE. NO FIREWORKS......SO BASICALLY A PARTY OF US JUST LOOKIN UP TO THE SKY AT NOTHING............REALLY

HAHAHA some of u need to chill n stop trying to outdo each other with trivial information.

it is an english custom, i think thats what dglamoore meant.

Sorry gigglesf. Don't know of anyone still celebrating it here. The only fireworks I've heard of as well were on New Year's Eve last year in the CBD (although someone may know different). We were going to go and see them as they are supposed to be good, however you weren't allowed to drink!!!!!:mad:

So we decided to stick with the drink and forget the fireworks!!!!!! Think the same is happening again this year - depends on whether you could stand seeing the New Year in without a drink or not - I thought the two things went together:biglaugh:!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
YEP WE HAVIN A PARTY FOR BONFIRE NITE.....WITH NO FIRE. NO FIREWORKS......SO BASICALLY A PARTY OF US JUST LOOKIN UP TO THE SKY AT NOTHING............REALLY

You can always get some sparklers!! Though they are not quite as exciting.

In the Uk we used to live near Lewes where they had a massive firework thingy (you can tell I have been on the wine!:idea:) It used to get packed and it was a great atmosphere, There is something I quite miss (not till you think of them do you miss them).

Anyway to the point.... they have fireworks on the beach between Glenelg and Brighton. The year before we arrived you could take BOOZE on the beach and apparently it was great, but last year there was a booze ban:arghh:. I recon Sydney is the place to see new fireworks!

sarah

Guest Richard & Amanda

We are still in the UK (at the moment) hoping to be in OZ around Feb 08.

We "celebrated" the failed attempt to blow up the houses of Parliament last night at an organised display. I made more of a big thing of it this year for Hannah because she knows she probably won't see anything like it next Bonfire night.

My mum reckons before we fly off that we should take her to London and have her photo taken outside major landmarks i.e Big Ben, Buckingham Palace etc etc. Did anybody else do anything like this for the kids or is it just my mother being odd? I must admit I do have this overwhelming urge to do things more now in England because it will be the last time.

for example - Blackpool lights - now I can either take them or leave them (I would prefer the latter - my opinion) but we went this year - cos its the last time :wacko:.

Is it me - please let me know if others went through or are going through this "last time" syndrome!

Guest Russfamily

We took our children to buckingham palace, the london eye and to see england play russia at wembley it was a great day out for all. earlier in the year we went to the tower of london as well.

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hmmmmmmmm I wonder if I can get hubby to go on the London Eye.

I fancy it but he doesn't......if I tell him its my last wish in England ;) he might just do it.

He prefers solid ground under him :biglaugh:

Well for me its another reason to go to Oz.:) Can't stand fireworks. Especially those set off by 'joe public'. Oooooooooooo please tell me the little darlings in Oz don't do trick or treat on 31st Oct. Thats another thing that drives me mad.:mad:

Pete

Well for me its another reason to go to Oz.:) Can't stand fireworks. Especially those set off by 'joe public'. Oooooooooooo please tell me the little darlings in Oz don't do trick or treat on 31st Oct. Thats another thing that drives me mad.:mad:

Pete

They are starting to. It's the influence of us evil Americans;)

Suz

Guest dglamoore

Pete

yep fraid so - just last week cars got egged and one of the primary schools got their windows painted :nah: they are out there and not quite the little kiddies dressed up you would expect!!

Lisa:o

Guest donna T
Don't worry Pete, the evil influence hasn't spread too far yet! I'm happy to report that Halloween passed completely unnoticed here in Woodcroft! Not a single knock at the door! Or maybe the local kids were just avoiding the scary English people!:biglaugh:

Liz

Nothing here in Hallett Cove either - just have to eat all the sweeties myself;)

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Don't worry Pete, the evil influence hasn't spread too far yet! I'm happy to report that Halloween passed completely unnoticed here in Woodcroft! Not a single knock at the door! Or maybe the local kids were just avoiding the scary English people!:biglaugh:

Liz

Nobody better knock THAT door;)

Guzzler

no hallowen is somthing I will be eternaly greatful for! We had over 40 kids this year.

They didnt look overly impresed with the one quality street they got either!but unfortunaty asda had sold out of the treat bars wher I went in.

But I have to say the one that really got to me was the lad that tried to hand his sweet back saying I dont like the silver ones I want a green one.:wacko:

Hi,

Not wanting to appear pedantic but besides England the rest of the UK celebrate, plus the following which I lifted from Wikipedia

Guzzler

Hi Guzler,

I have always wondered about Wikipedia, doesn't it allow users to "edit" entries?

You are right it is definately a UK event but everyone seems to forget that it was also about European politics and religion. Guido "Guy" Fawkes was a dutch assassin/mercenary of the catholic faith who was chosen by a group of Catholic dissenters to blow up the Protestant UK Parliament but was discovered before match was put to tinder.