New to Forum and fell in love with Adelaide!

Guest HelenB

Guest HelenB

Hi everyone!

We are a family of four living in the not so sunny south west country! Up to Feb 2011 we were just muddling along with life when after a couple of life changes my husband starting thinking about moving to another country! After a couple of options we decided on Australia - my hubby is South african born and missed the southern hemisphere! He made a couple of enquiries and was offered a potential job in Adelaide in April and we visited last week!!

We really liked it even though it was bizarrely colder than home - but it is Autumn and it was good to see the seasons!Its a beautiful city! We got back and he was formally offered a job!! I t has all happened really fast.

So now the hard work begins..... He has to jump through a couple of professional hoops with work/ membership then they will start the employer sponsorship visa process, I think? Trying not to get too carried away as it seems like a long process and we can already see pitfalls- Our son has Asperghers- but doesn't need much support educationally but I am sure there will be a visa issue! Haven't figured out what I am going to do as I am a conservator ( mainly sculpture) but I am willing to retrain. Well that's it - this forum looks really useful and am looking forward to keeping in touch

helen

Guest helene73

Hi Helen and welcome to PIA.

You are right this forum is great helps keep us all sane!!

Any questions ask a way everyone is so helpful and someone always has the answer your looking for.

Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Hi and welcome. Not too far from you here in the UK, we are in North Somerset, not far from Bristol. And I do agree with you, I think Adelaide is lovely :)

Not to scare you or anything but for your son, my understanding is it will help to gather as much supporting evidence as to his situation and how well he is doing. I recall reading on other forums about children with similar and that it seemed to go better if there was good supportive evidence from teachers, doctors etc that their child was doing well, not needing lots of support and so on. The more you are prepared and can send in the better was the general gist I've gotten reading about this sort of thing. Have a read over on Poms In Oz and do a search for the subject. I'm sure you can turn up more on it all to help :)

Good luck with it all. Hope it all goes well for you.

Guest Opportunities
Hi everyone!

We are a family of four living in the not so sunny south west country! Up to Feb 2011 we were just muddling along with life when after a couple of life changes my husband starting thinking about moving to another country! After a couple of options we decided on Australia - my hubby is South african born and missed the southern hemisphere! He made a couple of enquiries and was offered a potential job in Adelaide in April and we visited last week!!

We really liked it even though it was bizarrely colder than home - but it is Autumn and it was good to see the seasons!Its a beautiful city! We got back and he was formally offered a job!! I t has all happened really fast.

So now the hard work begins..... He has to jump through a couple of professional hoops with work/ membership then they will start the employer sponsorship visa process, I think? Trying not to get too carried away as it seems like a long process and we can already see pitfalls- Our son has Asperghers- but doesn't need much support educationally but I am sure there will be a visa issue! Haven't figured out what I am going to do as I am a conservator ( mainly sculpture) but I am willing to retrain. Well that's it - this forum looks really useful and am looking forward to keeping in touch

helen

Hi Helen,

Congrats on the job offer! Where were your husband born? I am not just South African born, but have lived in South Africa my whole life!

Good luck with all the planning that lies ahead!

Karen

x;)

Guest HelenB
Hi and welcome. Not too far from you here in the UK, we are in North Somerset, not far from Bristol. And I do agree with you, I think Adelaide is lovely :)

Not to scare you or anything but for your son, my understanding is it will help to gather as much supporting evidence as to his situation and how well he is doing. I recall reading on other forums about children with similar and that it seemed to go better if there was good supportive evidence from teachers, doctors etc that their child was doing well, not needing lots of support and so on. The more you are prepared and can send in the better was the general gist I've gotten reading about this sort of thing. Have a read over on Poms In Oz and do a search for the subject. I'm sure you can turn up more on it all to help :)

Good luck with it all. Hope it all goes well for you.

Thanks for the info. I read some of the previous posts and his visa might be an issue so it probably not going up be easy! also a bit worried about how he will venture out there! We know the system really well at home- so we are taking an unknown leap!

Helen

Guest HelenB

Hi Karen

he was born in Stellenbosch bur moved around the country with his family because of dads work! he spent a lot of time outside of capetown. eventually settled in Kleinmond but he had left home by then. Which part of SA do you call home?

Helen