hello Adelaide

Guest monty B

Guest monty B

This is my first Post on Poms in Adelaide and some peeps may already know me from poms in Oz. We are living in Coromandel valley and have been here for 9 weeks today and absolutely loving it. Being new to the area I've got quite a few questions specific to Adelaide and would really appreciate it if you guys could answer some of them.

Firstly Up until arriving here I was adamant that I wanted to live in the Hills, but recently visited Seaford and Moana and love the feel of the area. I'm hoping to work at Flinders and my OH is a bricklayer so will travel to where the work is within reason. Our 15 yr old son is very sporty, does anyone in the seaford area know what sort of facilities there are locally for teenagers?

Thanks Monty

Hi Monty,

Can't help with the questions coz I'm still in cold and wet Lincolnshire. Just wanted to say hi and welcome to PIA.

No doubt someone over there will give you the low down on those areas.

Pete

hello and welcome :wubclub:

i can't help you either because we are not there yet .... i wish :v_SPIN:

but there are quite a few in that area so you'll get lots of answers soon!!

we'd like to hear more about the 'settling in' though :P

Guest Thongs Rule

Hi Monty,

I'm an Adelaide girl born and bred, and although i've not lived in Seaford / moana, always lived in the eastern suburbs, currently Norwood, but had to reply to your thread.

Depending on what your looking for depends on the area to go for... Down at Moana and seaford are the best beaches for the adelaide area, and they are good areas, but remote. There will be heaps of local sports to be a part of, but if you want to watch sports it really is better to be more central, AFL is at west lakes, soccer is at hindmarsh, the tennis is in the city, the racing is in the cty, the 2 best horse races are at victoria and Morphettville, and the cricket is in the city. The tour down under is everywhere but finishes in the city....

There are no really bad choices to living in adelaide, and those areas you've mentioned are very peaceful, but think of your lifestyle you want, I only go to the beach for approx 3 - 4 months of the year (and then only 2 or 3 visits. the sun is too dangerous) so mostly stick to the pool at home, if i go to the beach out of the summer months it's just to walk the dog as the sea breezes are quite cool. But also think of your kids, what will they do when the weather turns cooler or when they want to go for a night on the town in a few years time, it will be an expenisive taxi ride and most taxi's won't leave the metro area to drop people off.

I'm not trying to put you off, but you need to think of the complete picture and how that affects your family. but we are are all different, and that's what makes us fascinating. and as one of the posters on this website has said a few times, what is not right for one is a gold mine to someone else, or something.

And i'm sure there will be people who have a different opinion to mine, but all you have to do is look around the areas you choose, and think of what life is like all year round, and also find out about the events in adelaide, do you want to be close so you can see them whenever you want, or further away and it becomes a jaunt to see them.....

Good Luck

Guest cunnah10
Hi Monty,

I'm an Adelaide girl born and bred, and although i've not lived in Seaford / moana, always lived in the eastern suburbs, currently Norwood, but had to reply to your thread.

Depending on what your looking for depends on the area to go for... Down at Moana and seaford are the best beaches for the adelaide area, and they are good areas, but remote. There will be heaps of local sports to be a part of, but if you want to watch sports it really is better to be more central, AFL is at west lakes, soccer is at hindmarsh, the tennis is in the city, the racing is in the cty, the 2 best horse races are at victoria and Morphettville, and the cricket is in the city. The tour down under is everywhere but finishes in the city....

There are no really bad choices to living in adelaide, and those areas you've mentioned are very peaceful, but think of your lifestyle you want, I only go to the beach for approx 3 - 4 months of the year (and then only 2 or 3 visits. the sun is too dangerous) so mostly stick to the pool at home, if i go to the beach out of the summer months it's just to walk the dog as the sea breezes are quite cool. But also think of your kids, what will they do when the weather turns cooler or when they want to go for a night on the town in a few years time, it will be an expenisive taxi ride and most taxi's won't leave the metro area to drop people off.

I'm not trying to put you off, but you need to think of the complete picture and how that affects your family. but we are are all different, and that's what makes us fascinating. and as one of the posters on this website has said a few times, what is not right for one is a gold mine to someone else, or something.

And i'm sure there will be people who have a different opinion to mine, but all you have to do is look around the areas you choose, and think of what life is like all year round, and also find out about the events in adelaide, do you want to be close so you can see them whenever you want, or further away and it becomes a jaunt to see them.....

Good Luck

Hi just read your message!Wondered if you could help with naming a few good areas within 20 mins drive of Parafield Gardens.We only concentrated on the southern suburbs on a recent visit but my hubby has the chance of a job possibly in Parafield Gardens so wondered what areas i should be looking at to settle with my 4 kids aged 3,7,8 and 10 tnat wouldn't be too far away for hubby to travel to work each day.

Cheers

Gill

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Monty,

Welcome to PIA! I know that Seaford has quite a good leisure centre, my husband plays 5 a side football there on a Tuesday night with lots of other old timers:biglaugh: and I think it's got a gym there as well. There's a bigger leisure centre not far away in Noarlunga, including an ice rink and of course there's always the surf life club. I'm sure some of the Seaford residents on here can give you more information though.

Hi there we live in Seaford and love it. My hubby is a nurse and works at Wakefield Hospital in the city, but also does some agency at Flinders. It takes him 40 minutes to get into the city, 30 when the expressway is headed in the right direction. Flinders is approximately 25 minutes away about 20 minutes on the expressway. I haven't got teenagers mine are small but there is a great leisure centre. The beaches as the previous poster said are fantastic - we certainly spend a lot of time there. My 6 year old is a nipper at Southport Surf Life Saving Club, but there are also clubs at Moana and Aldinga. As Liz said there are other things at Noarlunga - ice rink, cinema, bowling - only a 5 minute drive away or a short bus ride. There is quite a lot of building going on around here : ) so promising for the hubby too!

Let me know if I can be of any help with areas or jobs (Andy likes both hospitals - but both are very different!)

Lindsey

Guest monty B

Thankyou you lovely people for replying to my post. All of your info has been very reassuring. The distance to Flinders doesn't seem too bad for work. Paul my OH has noticed the building work in seaford, he's currently communting to Hampstead gardens and is on site there. Our son Jacob is really impressed with the beach but he is a footie(soccer fanatic) and plays for a five a side team locally on a monday. So wants to be able to keep that up. Finding out about the sports side is really important to him. Me I just love a walk along the beach with our cavalier king charles spaniels.

Thankyou once again everyone.

Monty

Guest monty B
Hiya Monty.

Nice to see you in here.

Looks like you are getting plenty of good advice :)

How's those doggies doing???:):)

Hello Tyke,

Nice to see you too!!! My doggies are doing just fine really settled. They Went to the groomers this week and are feeling the benefit of a good cut and we are out and about exploring all the lovely beaches.

Monty