On our way to Adelaide, any advice/tips

Guest laura coldwell

Guest laura coldwell

Hey there,

My husband and I have just started the process of emigrating to SA on SS 176. I am a RMN and Mark, the hubwar is a sparky. We have never visited Adelaide but have visited Aus a few times. I just wanted to say hello and ask peoples experiences of relocating to Adelaide as were not sure what to expect.

Thanks guys and I look forward to speaking to you and spying on some posts in the future :wink:

Lots of love, Laura and Mark xxxx

Hi and welcome,

Here are a few tips to start you with, be very patient it can be a very rocky ride with many ups and many downs along the whole process including selling the home,

Be realistic with your expectations and not be too hard on yourself, keep reminding yourself why you are doing this

your going to be happy one day and not the next, this is normal and for some this never stops even when here.

some people will support you and a lot will not,

make heaps of lists things to do, things to get rid of,things you no longer want- get organized

make sure you plan ahead and do heaps of research you can never do enough,

Contact employers now and try and make contacts so when you get here there is already someone to contact

Pick up some sunnies,a map and again research all you can it's not everyone's paradise however for some it is and we love it.

Guest jadunlop

Hi there, we are on our way on the 18th! Don't let the removal guys wrap and pack everything that you put down to tell another removal guy what he has to or not to pack then turn around and whatever you had a minute ago has gone into one of the 139 boxes that it took to pack our house up! Unfortunately my wife's and my driving license were in a drawer that got packed and I just realised today that I don't have them! Doh!!!! Sending for a replacement so already £20 down.

Guest laura coldwell
Hi and welcome,

Here are a few tips to start you with, be very patient it can be a very rocky ride with many ups and many downs along the whole process including selling the home,

Be realistic with your expectations and not be too hard on yourself, keep reminding yourself why you are doing this

your going to be happy one day and not the next, this is normal and for some this never stops even when here.

some people will support you and a lot will not,

make heaps of lists things to do, things to get rid of,things you no longer want- get organized

make sure you plan ahead and do heaps of research you can never do enough,

Contact employers now and try and make contacts so when you get here there is already someone to contact

Pick up some sunnies,a map and again research all you can it's not everyone's paradise however for some it is and we love it.

Hey ajford,

Thanks for your response. We have got an agent which should hopefully help with some of the ups and downs, i feel much better having a direct point fo contact although, I feel I may see a down side next week as my IELTS are due and i dont think it went very well. Luckily, or unluckily we don't have a home to sell, we are quite a young couple and have nothing here of any value but our car.

I have had this dream since 2005 and have just finished uni in order to have points on the SOL. Everyone here seems really nice and I can see that a few arrange meet up's in adelaide on a regular basis.

It sounds like you love Adelaide :) xx

Guest laura coldwell
Hi there, we are on our way on the 18th! Don't let the removal guys wrap and pack everything that you put down to tell another removal guy what he has to or not to pack then turn around and whatever you had a minute ago has gone into one of the 139 boxes that it took to pack our house up! Unfortunately my wife's and my driving license were in a drawer that got packed and I just realised today that I don't have them! Doh!!!! Sending for a replacement so already £20 down.

Oh no Jadunlop, I am planning on bringing a few things, bed, kitchen aid, photos ect but not too much, who have you used? xxx

Welcome to PIA the best advice I can give is be patient as things can take time and google as much as you can so there are no surprises when you get here. Adelaide is great though so if you have reasonable expectations you won't be disappointed.

Good luck.

Guest laura coldwell
welcome Laura. I'm a RMN also here on 176. We have been here a year now and loving it so far. Life definitely has its ups and downs but then it did in UK too. Hoping it all goes well for you. xx

Hey weecookie,

Thanks for your response! Ooo maybe I can pick your brains. I have been googling private clinics and mental health units in Adelaide and I am not having much luck with it. Do you know of any names of places so that I can try to establish some contacts?

Up's and down's I can cope with, what I can't cope with anymore is waking up on a Saturday, seeing a grey sky and rain and thinking what can we do today? and the answer being; either visit the Trafford Centre or stay at home. :arghh:

Guest laura coldwell
Welcome to PIA the best advice I can give is be patient as things can take time and google as much as you can so there are no surprises when you get here. Adelaide is great though so if you have reasonable expectations you won't be disappointed.

Good luck.

Thanks the Bacons, my patience is being tested at the moment waiting for my IELTS results argh!! :mad:

Guest Helchops

Yep...our days off pretty much consist of the local shops in winter. In summer we go walking, swimming, beer gardens, sit and talk outside by the chiminea (sp?) till late...I love the nice weather. Even yesterday, 8 degrees and I was outside in the sun. 139 days and counting!!

Guest chooklady

Hey Laura

I moved here 6 years ago with my partner and it took me 1 year to feel settled. I agree with what Helchops has said about things just taking time.

My experience of coming to Adelaide was a positive one overall but very tough at times, I had previoulsy lived in London, so I did wonder where everyone was?!! Adelaide is small enough that people are still friendly and helpful but big enough that it has city conveinences.

I think I underestimated the culture shock.....assuming that just because it's the western world it would be the same, and it's not.

I wish you all the best in your move, good luck.

Adelaide is a well kept secret.....shhhh!!!