The final step - doubts and fears!!

guspjmh

I have been offered SS ffrom SA from my job, I am married with 2 kids (2 1/2yr old boy and 6 month girl). My wife is starting to panic and worry about the whole thing, although I am really keen. We have researched Adelaide, and I am really excited - we want our kids to be able to be outdoors more and enjoy the climate, rather than sat in front of an xbox for 9 months, but my wife is scared of feeling isolated.

Can anyone give any advice or tips?

Thanks in advance, Gus.

Guest Paula H

We are moving to Adelaide in septem

Away from my close family & friends. My mum & dad look after my 3 children as I work full time. The thought of leaving them makes me feel physically sick. BUT.... We can't live our lives for our parents, our children will outlive them & we are moving for our children to give them a better future so that is what is keeping us going.

As for the isolation, there are many of us in the same situation and hopefully with the meet ups we will make new friends.

Your wife is welcome to PM me with any questions/fears etc

Guest leeannekays

Hello Gus, we feel that we have this opportunity and we couldn't "not go".

Our children are at the perfect age to go over and settle in and it's a great future for them. My husband can't wait to go, I'm looking forward to it but the thought of leaving my mum is so hard as she loves to be with me and her grandchildren. We fly in just over 2 weeks and my mum has booked her flight out already for January next year because she said it helps her to deal with us going to know she is def coming for a visit.

We feel as a family it's a big adventure for us.

Leeanne xx

Guest Paula H

Like Leanne we too are thinking of it as an adventue

That way there is no forever, if things don't work out then you can always come back right?

We always said at the beginning of us applying for our 175s that if it meant to be then it'll happen, and it's happening, and we can't wait.

Guest Rachael Reeve

I feel the same, we fly in three weeks and I know its going to be very hard to say good bye to my mum and dad. I have to think why we are doing it and its for my kids. Im soory to say there is nothing left in the UK for them. Good luck on your house sale.

Guest ozmania1968

Hi Gus

We are in exactly the same situation, we hae just received out 176 visas and have 7 yr old and 12 yr old boys and two older daughters. We are also looking to move to Adelaide and the emotions are a bit like a roller coaster. I do know however that this is one of the best opportunities we can ever give to our children. The UK does not appear to offer a lot at the moment and I know that the children will have better propsects in OZ - perhaps your wife could think more about what the familty would be gaining - rather than what you would be leaving behind? As other posts said, we are going with the attitude that we can always come back if it doesnt work out - after all you only get one life....may as well have an adventure:) Your wife will soon make friends having young children forces you to. If we end up going around the same time, we can hook up for a barbie and a few beers? You can be our first guests!!!!!

We are going out in December to validate our Visas - staying in the Hackham area. Hopefully we will have sold our house by then and we can make this THE MIGRATION JOURNEY rather than a holiday!. Anyway, please keep in touch - your wife is very welcome to drop me a line.

Hi Gus

We are in exactly the same situation, we hae just received out 176 visas and have 7 yr old and 12 yr old boys and two older daughters. We are also looking to move to Adelaide and the emotions are a bit like a roller coaster. I do know however that this is one of the best opportunities we can ever give to our children. The UK does not appear to offer a lot at the moment and I know that the children will have better propsects in OZ - perhaps your wife could think more about what the familty would be gaining - rather than what you would be leaving behind? As other posts said, we are going with the attitude that we can always come back if it doesnt work out - after all you only get one life....may as well have an adventure:) Your wife will soon make friends having young children forces you to. If we end up going around the same time, we can hook up for a barbie and a few beers? You can be our first guests!!!!!

We are going out in December to validate our Visas - staying in the Hackham area. Hopefully we will have sold our house by then and we can make this THE MIGRATION JOURNEY rather than a holiday!. Anyway, please keep in touch - your wife is very welcome to drop me a line.

Thanks, I'd love to join you for a bbq!

We are probably going to go for it, final decision by next week whether to pay the £2k for the 176 visa application. The timescale for approval is only about 3 months right now, so feasibly we could be out there by this time next year, or even earlier, so there may not be long between our moves!

As soon as we apply, I'm going to market the house. Hopefully meeting people like yourselves will make the move that much easier, as we can have a pre-built network. I think what you said about the opportunities for kids is spot on - also I want my kids out playing for hours every day, not stuck in front of an xbox for 9 months a year.

Good luck with selling the house.

PS - Do you have a link to any good rental places including your one in Hackham, as it will be useful to have a few possibilites.

Cheers,

Gus.

I have been offered SS ffrom SA from my job, I am married with 2 kids (2 1/2yr old boy and 6 month girl). My wife is starting to panic and worry about the whole thing, although I am really keen. We have researched Adelaide, and I am really excited - we want our kids to be able to be outdoors more and enjoy the climate, rather than sat in front of an xbox for 9 months, but my wife is scared of feeling isolated.

Can anyone give any advice or tips?

Thanks in advance, Gus.

I've been here nearly 2 weeks (OH for 5 weeks) and the worst part was saying goodbye to family. I felt physically sick about saying goodbye for months before we came and it was heartbreaking BUT since we got here, I've loved every minute, so far and not missed home/family at all. I know it's very early days but since we arrived, that sick feeling in my stomach completely disappeared and it feels so right to be here.

Our 5 year old loves it, so far, too. We're outdoors on the beach or at the parks everyday - even if it's just a quick hour at the end of the day after getting chores/tasks/work done. We Skype/Facetime each family once a week and catch up with a quick email or text every few days and that's been great. Perhaps it's less risky for us as OH had a job offer before we came (that's the main reason we came) but so far, the isolation and homesickness hasn't been an issue. This site has been a great help, too, and I've already arranged several meet-ups with mums with kids (and some ladies without kids, too) through the site.

It would be a shame to spend the rest of your life thinking...what if?

Good luck with it all.

Lyn x

I've been here nearly 2 weeks (OH for 5 weeks) and the worst part was saying goodbye to family. I felt physically sick about saying goodbye for months before we came and it was heartbreaking BUT since we got here, I've loved every minute, so far and not missed home/family at all. I know it's very early days but since we arrived, that sick feeling in my stomach completely disappeared and it feels so right to be here.

Our 5 year old loves it, so far, too. We're outdoors on the beach or at the parks everyday - even if it's just a quick hour at the end of the day after getting chores/tasks/work done. We Skype/Facetime each family once a week and catch up with a quick email or text every few days and that's been great. Perhaps it's less risky for us as OH had a job offer before we came (that's the main reason we came) but so far, the isolation and homesickness hasn't been an issue. This site has been a great help, too, and I've already arranged several meet-ups with mums with kids (and some ladies without kids, too) through the site.

It would be a shame to spend the rest of your life thinking...what if?

Good luck with it all.

Lyn x

You are right about the what-ifs. It's just the practical things scaring me. I've been told an entry level wage for my job out there would be $70-85k, but I'm not sure if I got a job on $70k whether that would be enough to support us. I think it's just now a matter of biting the bullet and going for it!

Guest sasha willis

Hi Guys

We have been here about a week we are in seaford rise if you need any questions answered please feel free to send us a private message and we will try and help you all if we can, its great here weather beeches etc but will warn you the last week before you leave and the flights are tough going but well worth it

Regards Nigel and Sasha

We have just completed our 1st 7 months here and our daughter loves it.

We to came over for the same reasons a different lifestyle which we have got. Its one that we all love my daughter and myself love the beach activities.

We very rarely watch any tv, saying that the standard of programs is very poor.

It has changed a little as its dark now at 6.30 so not as many evenings spent on the beach but you do feel a lot more alive when the sun shines every day.

We dont have huge group of friends but feel very settled and at home here.

It also feel very safe and clean here saying that we lived in Bradford so anywhere would.

No big gangs hanging around the shopping centres. I dont know if it is just me with rose coloured glasses but I have not seen anything that disturbs me.

The other Friday night between 9..30-11.30 2 police officers spent 3 hrs trying to find a lost dog because there was nothing else going on.

This may just of been a one off but the suburb we live in Port Noarlunga feels very safe and welcoming. I would have a look at the area if thinking of moving but there are loads of other beautiful areas as well .

We have just completed our 1st 7 months here and our daughter loves it.

We to came over for the same reasons a different lifestyle which we have got. Its one that we all love my daughter and myself love the beach activities.

We very rarely watch any tv, saying that the standard of programs is very poor.

It has changed a little as its dark now at 6.30 so not as many evenings spent on the beach but you do feel a lot more alive when the sun shines every day.

We dont have huge group of friends but feel very settled and at home here.

It also feel very safe and clean here saying that we lived in Bradford so anywhere would.

No big gangs hanging around the shopping centres. I dont know if it is just me with rose coloured glasses but I have not seen anything that disturbs me.

The other Friday night between 9..30-11.30 2 police officers spent 3 hrs trying to find a lost dog because there was nothing else going on.

This may just of been a one off but the suburb we live in Port Noarlunga feels very safe and welcoming. I would have a look at the area if thinking of moving but there are loads of other beautiful areas as well .

Thanks. Funnily enough, we have been looking at Port Noarlunga and Aldinga beach, both look nice as I will work from home rather than an office so needn't be too close to the CBD. Is there enough to do in those areas to keep my wife (and 2 infants) entertained and happy?

I suppose it depends on what your lifestyle is. If you wanted partying and clubbing then no.

There are more than enough supermarkets probably to many,Seaford has a small but adequate shopping centre, Port Noarlunga has a large shopping centre with plenty of shops and place to eat .

Noarlunga has a pub and quite a few places to eat and drink with some quaint seaside shops Great beach and Jetty it also has a fantastic childrens playground that I think the community donated and built. It seems a popular place for childrens birthday parties on a weekend with families using the free BBQ's and gazebos.

Our daughter attends Port Noarlunga Primary and loves going to school especially the PE and sports programs I think she has a minimum of 1 hr a day of physical activities. Nor does there seem to be a great panic about sats and weather they will meet the governments targets generally a lot more relaxed which you can see in the children.

You may need to ask someone with 2 small infants regarding keeping them entertained but its certainly healthier lifestyle and more than suits our needs.

Take yesterday Lauren and I spent the afternoon kayaking down the Onkaparinga river then messing around on the beach, a walk down to Moana and back along the beach this morning. You kind of want to do things here and the view along the esplanade at Moana makes walking a pleasure, its something we didnt do back in the UK.

To be honest I dont think we have had a weekend of just sitting in the house flicking through channels.

The only thing I need to change is to stop them downloading East Enders but I will work on this over the winter months.