Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Tom C

Members
  • Content Count

    6
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

4 Neutral

About Tom C

  • Rank
    Newbie

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Tom C

    Advice needed

    Hey Snifter, Just wanted to give an update. My visa actually came earlier than expected and by end of Jan I arrived (in +40 degree heat) to set up everything before my family arrived in 4 weeks. Got an air bnb in Glenelg while I started the house hunting progress. I'm glad I prepared everything first and have a rough idea of where we wanted to be. The process wasn't too difficult but we did have to view some small and poor places but perseverance was key. 5 months on and we are happily living in Grange and our stuff has arrived from UK (took a little longer than expected). Our UK house has sold. We thought why not jump into our adventure and put everything into it. If it doesn't work, we can just move back. Our oldest (4) is missing home a little but he's enjoying kindy and we're out most weekends doing things as a family so hopefully he'll ll come around. We caught the end of summer and had some great adventures so far. Loving the food availability and range. The vino is not too bad either We arrived on a temp visa but have just lodged our PR visa so hopefully that will be processed but its a weight off the mind. I'm glad we made the jump and so far so good. Thanks again for the advice If anyone has any questions, please let me know and will give advise where possible.
  2. Tom C

    2 weeks to go!!!!!

    Thanks very much for the responses Snifter + Curly. Both really informative and useful. I've got my 'rental pack' sorted but was unsure of references. I'll take a couple from my old and current employer. Hopefully that should be sufficient. I've already been making introductions to a few agents so sounds like I'm on the right path Useful to know about the schools and zoning. Our eldest won't start until Feb 2020 so we'll look at preschool or equivalent. Our rough plan is to move Grange, Henley, West Beach area for first 6 - 12 months and get our bearings. I can see us moving to the hills further down the line. But time will tell. Thanks Snifter. I'm sure my OH would jump at the chance for a coffee once we've landed. Thanks again
  3. Tom C

    2 weeks to go!!!!!

    Hey Everyone. After a 2 year merry-go-round with visas. We finally been approved. Flights booked, Removals underway and air bnb sorted. I fly out end of this month (in time for Australia day) with the wfe and 2 kids coming a month later. I've got my air bnb sorted for February and hoping to find somewhere to rent within the 4 weeks before my family join me. Ideallly around Grange area. I'm in the process of gathering the documents required for renting but my question is regarding the references. We've owned a house for the past 6 years so no previous landlords to give us a reference and presume local friends and family won't suffice. I've included our police checks from the visa which may help but any other suggestions to tick this box? With only 4 weeks to find a place (while. Working FT) I'm worried I won't be able to get somewhere suitable for when my family land. Also any recommendations for beds, couches and cars as well be getting these from. Ew while we wait for the rest of the furniture Thanks guys
  4. Tom C

    Advice needed

    Just wanted to post an update. We'll I came over for a week last month to meet the company I'll be working for. All very positive and can't wait to move now. (just wish the house would sell quicker. Just waiting our Visa to process (hopefully Feb) then we'll be over in a flash. I think we'll follow suit and get a Air bnb for a few weeks then a short term rental around Glenelg up to West beach area in order to find a place to settle. Our little ones don't start school until 2020 so have time to find out where suits us best. Thanks for the advice Snifter,
  5. Tom C

    Advice needed

    Thanks Snifter, Great advice. Since me posting this, things have developed quite a bit. We are working with 2 registered migration companies. One based in UK and one out of Aus who specialises in Employment sponsorship. There is a route to PR, which is awesome news as that was my major concern. Its a bit tedious but doable. We would go on a 482 and then apply for a 187 as SA is classed as regional Australia, therefor i'm not limited to the short term 482 to PR rule. I've also had a job offer so it looks like we are moving shortly. We just need to get the visa process rolling now and hopefully be over in 3/4 months. We did think about renting our house but the capital will aid us with the move and set up while were there (possible mortgage deposit once we get PR). Also it may resist temptation to jump back when / if things get tough settling. We know its going to be hard but we are really excited and want to throw ourselves into it 100%. Now we just have to look at holiday lets while we settle and decide where to set up camp. I'll be working in North Adelaide so plenty of options Thanks for the advice
  6. Tom C

    Advice needed

    Morning Everyone, Been scrolling through this forum for a while now, some really useful advice, so thank you. We've been trying to make the move over to Adelaide and after a lot of work and waiting, we got enough points (80) to apply through 489 Visa on high points. Unfortunately some additional rules were added shortly after the job list was released and before we could apply, which meant we could apply as a marketing specialist through this avenue (back to square one) I was advised the best options, was to get a job offer, then I can apply through a 482 as my job is on the Short term list. Then after 6 months I could apply for PR through a 187 via direct entry stream (if no rules changed) Now I have just received a job offer, My worry is with moving over with my OH and 2 kids, I'm concerned that the rules may change and our route to PR is closed. Is it worth the risk moving over on a temporarily 482 TSS visa and hoping we should be able to get a 187 in 6 months. Has anyone had any similar experience or advice. Thanks
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Use