Help - Perth Or Adelaide?

Guest DiveSamGrevett

Guest DiveSamGrevett

Hi all

We are just waiting for case number/worker before getting medicals and police checks organised. We always thought we'd go to Perth, but recently started looking at Adelaide and really like it. Can anyone give me more info on Adelaide? Like, why you all decided on this City instead of any other?

Hi and welcome to PIA. We chose Perth on our visa however were sponsored by South Australia so came to Adelaide. Adelaide is a great place to be - it depends what you are really looking for. Having moved from Exeter to Plymouth before moving abroad, I would actually say that it is very similar to Plymouth here. It is definately not as lively here though and although there are lots of festivals you need to make them better amongst yourselves as they are nowhere near as colourful nor exciting as the festivals in Devon! Another thing is that there are lots of coffee shops selling fantastic coffee and cakes the problem is that they are mostly in the malls or at the side of a road Again it depends what you are after. I can't comment on Perth as not been there - reading other threads it seems to be slightly more expensive? Adelaide is great though - lots of shopping, coastal walks, sun, sea and totally relaxing - I suppose seeing you were in Plymouth made me for the first time in just over a year feel a bit homesick for the things I miss now and again!!

Good luck with everything and hope you are happy whichever you choose :-)

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hiya,

We "chose" Adelaide because it appears to have seasons unlike Perth.

Adelaide's temperature is not as over-bearing as Perth and is more like the

Mediterranean apparently.

Oh and hubby has been offered a job there!!!!

when plymouth has the 2nd biggest fringe festival in the world (and has just signed an agreement to share respources with edinburgh), a film festival just ranked in the top 50 (beating melbourne and sydney), can hold event likes das ring which is acknowledged as world leading, some of the best underground and electronic music in the country, biggest bogan car race, best convention centre, great wineries......

then we can talk

i am sorry but i am an sa boy living in london and have visited plymouth this thread was just baiting me too far - there is just no comparison between these two cities - adelaide is the best!!!!

feel free to banish me.....

Guest Mark&Pamela

We have lived in Perth. It is a lovely, clean city, plenty of opportunities and plenty to do. All the usual things - big shopping malls, clean white strips of beaches, restaurants, coffee shops, bars (mainly in the central areas), sporting events, etc.

It is becoming quite a sprawling metropolis now though, with lots of houses being built both north and south of the Swan River to cater for the big demand. House prices got really silly these past few years, and Perth became more expensive than Sydney at one point. You still need about $450,000 - $500,000 for an average/decent house (more if you want something nice near the coast) but prices have stabilised a little of late.

Perth has an international and domestic airport, with the major airlines flying in - however you do notice that you are on the other side of the country without the closer proximity of the other major Aus cities - everything is done 'over east' such as banking, insurances, and you always feel a few hours behind the rest of the country.

That said, WA is a great state - wonderful sights to see throughout the state, mindblowing road trips and opportunities for completely different lifestyles in country towns.

It depends what you want really - have you looked at the Perth version of this Adelaide site ? www.pomsinperth.com/ you may get some questions answered on there from people who are living there at the mo

All the best anyway

when plymouth has the 2nd biggest fringe festival in the world (and has just signed an agreement to share respources with edinburgh), a film festival just ranked in the top 50 (beating melbourne and sydney), can hold event likes das ring which is acknowledged as world leading, some of the best underground and electronic music in the country, biggest bogan car race, best convention centre, great wineries......

then we can talk

i am sorry but i am an sa boy living in london and have visited plymouth this thread was just baiting me too far - there is just no comparison between these two cities - adelaide is the best!!!!

feel free to banish me.....

Thanks for that, its good to know my decision to move to Adelaide rather than Plymouth is the right one;) I can see how some people would find it difficult to choose:wacko:

Simon:D

Well that told me didn't it! I am so sorry I tried to answer a question (which is more than you did)! I've re-read my post and can see that I actually said Adelaide is great! If you are so touchy Pasha and SA is so much better for you than UK what are you doing there? Soggy you haven't actually answered the question either, would be good to see your answer to the question

Guest DiveSamGrevett

Thanks for all your feedback. Pasha I wasn't comparing Plymouth to Adelaide, just that I'd heard that Adelaide is to Australia as Plymouth is to the UK. (a little laid back, slightly behind the times etc) If Adelaide and Plymouth were similar, I'd stay put without all this trauma!! The rekkie I referred to was in order to compare Adelaide and Perth, not Plymouth and Adelaide!

Adelaide kind of chose us.

I'm glad it did after living here 7 years.

I've only visited Melbourne so far and have no idea what Perth is like apart from it is very isolated and property is more expensive.

Adelaide still has a small town feel to it in parts which is a huge plus for us.:D

DiveSamGrevett - apologies for that think it was my post that caused the problem not yours - seems I confirmed what your business partner said anyway though - that suits us though as at least we have the sun here! - seems I just stirred some people up and didn't mean to was just trying to answer the question - Best of luck with your reccie - like I said have fun where ever you choose - Thank you Tyke for bringing it back to the original question :-)

Well that told me didn't it! I am so sorry I tried to answer a question (which is more than you did)! I've re-read my post and can see that I actually said Adelaide is great! If you are so touchy Pasha and SA is so much better for you than UK what are you doing there? Soggy you haven't actually answered the question either, would be good to see your answer to the question

Hi Devon,

it was just a light hearted reply I could not resist making, hence the use of ;):wacko::D.

I am going on a a sir 495 visa ( I hope ) and so am restricted to regional visa and Adelaide is one of the few larger cities classed as regional, given the choice I dont have, I would not choose Perth as I prefer the climate, less humidity, cooler winters of the South. Although I was dissapointed not to have the choice of living anywhere in Australia at first, the more reserch I have done the more I am convinced that the Adelaide area is the place for me, after 2 years I will be able to move to another state if I want to but am expecting to stay for good. :)

Simon

Guest DiveSamGrevett

Glad that all got back to sensible replies!

These forums are great. Really helpful. Thanks for all your feedback.

We are waiting for a case number and so haven't yet booked our police checks or medicals. Been at this since the end of January. It's never ending!! I guess that's one way of proving you're serious.