what to bring

Guest kas17

Guest kas17

Hi,

coming over mid august,we need a new hoover as our dyson is on its last legs, should we buy a dyson here and ship it (hopefully we will have space) or should we buy one when we get over.

Also should we bring our TV (also on its last legs)

Thanks Karen

Guest wijaya

Hi there

We are going to arrive in September. Had the same situation as you regarding our old stuff. Decided to buy new tv. plasma LG 42 inch for £ 400 on sale from Comet. Compare to the same teve in Oz it cost around 800 dollars. Using 1.75 rate, price in Oz still 50-60 pound more expensive. We also bought two new mattresses costed us £ 600 again buying ex-display from Dreams.

I would say if you have in your container, and buying your goods through sale, you could save some money. Because, as new people, it will take a while for us all to find bargain places.

regards

wijaya

Guest Team 'W'

Yes whatever you wanna bring over ,buy in the uk ......you will be amazed at how expensive a lot of things are over here ...i wont go into much detail [i will be here all day lol ...] but bedding ,furniture, electrical items [food] so ye if you have room buy it in the uk ... When i say food [dont do a shop in tesco's before you come hee hee...

So good luck in your travels and enjoy the ride

elaine x

We also bought two new mattresses costed us £ 600 again buying ex-display from Dreams.

I hope yours arrive in better shape than the new one we shipped over. It must have been loaded horizontally in the container and then had other stuff piled on it - it was good for nothing by the time it arrived here. With any luck your shippers will have enough sense/professionalism to store yours vertically!

Jim

Guest cornish Busdriver

Dysons are quiet expensive here but as for TV's and any other electrical stuff i would buy it here as you can strike some really good bargains if you ask and you still got the warrentys then as well.

We paid i think around $1200 for our latex memory foam pillowtop mattress and OMG is it worth every cent, never slept so well in all my life.

Guest kangomik

Price of "vacums" (not hoovers over here) are a little expensive, you will have to cut the plug off which will probably void your warranty!

TV's have dropped dramatically in price over the last 18 months. If you want high end gear you will pay.

I think when your converting, and you will because you have only just arrived everything will be expensive. Like bread at over 4 dollars and chocky bars (mars snickers) at over 2 dollars each will seem expensive. Until you start earning and living in dollars - which will take a good 12 months and even then you find your self converting to check.

I would bring clothes, and bedding (lots of quilts!) bring fleeces etc fro Autumn and spring, and stock up on some good trainers 3 or 4 pairs should last you 10 years, but they are expensive over here.

Bring your footy shirts (yes i know the world cup will have finished) but at $149 a shirt its just crazy.

Some people unlock their phones, but i don't think phone prices are too bad here (saying that i dont have one lol)

It's all about setting up costs, we didnt bring much and wish we had brought all of it. The more you can save setting up the less pressure you put your selfs under. Less pressure means less stress and more enjoyment - thats what your comming for.