what to bring with us and stock up on

Guest mandy.s

Guest Woody and Jane
Good quality bedding and towels is very expensive here, I stocked up at primemark.

The bedding you can buy in places like K-Mart and Big W is the same quality as you get in Tesco and Asda and isn't expensive. I'm not sure why people are always saying bedding is expensive.

Yes good quality bedding and towels can be expensive here but they are in England too.

Bring your washining machine for sure, basically everything except your fridge freezer.

Our big TV worked fine, in the settings I just changed the time region from GMT to Adelaide +9.30 and the freeview tuner picked up all the free to air digital channels over here.

Woody.

Guest guest3462

You should bring every single thing that you have in your house now because if you don't you will only wish t some point that you had......

I do think that some of the bedding is very expensive here, but then I have bought lots of excellent quality bedding for really reasonable rates I just look for the sales. Myers often reduce to a fraction of their original price and they sell probably the best you can get here, I find that UK bed sizes are different too and our UK bedding that we brought didn't fit our new aussie beds!! So if you are buying new beds to bring then defo buy your bedding!

Just had a look online at the debenhams sale and there are some fab bargains in the homewares section that if we were just coming I would defo be investing in. For instance the Tefal Jamie oliver pans are more than twice the price here as in the UK. Stainless steel here in Aus is not stainless!!! So I would bring any cutlery pots,pans etc with you.

Feminine products are really expensive so yes i'd chuck a load of boxes in your shipping container also nappies if you need them. (but remember you will have to start buying them here at some point as your mum,sister,friend won't ship them out forever as it costs more to post them!!) I brought loads and loads of shampoo and conditioner with me from the UK (aussie mate that they dont sell here) but there is a good range of products at good prices. I did bring some more back with me from our recent trip thinking while in the uk that £6 wasnt too bad but then I think I would never pay $12 for a bottle of shampoo here, I must be mad!!!

To be honest, its really really easy to go mad and buy buy buy, and I did, and i suppose that every time I go back I will again lol!, BUT, we are a civilised country and we can buy most products here that you can buy anywhere else in the world, sometimes for more money, sometimes cheaper. My best advice is to bring everything what you think you will need, and if you have any particular goods or products that you cant live without (like my aussie mate shampoo and my love for chicken bisto!!) then yes, indulge and bring a load with you. For everything else wait til you get here and enjoy the shopping trips you'll get!

The shock to the system of the state of shopping here is going to hit you at some point so you might as well get used to it from the very beginning!

Guest kangomik

It cost's a lot to set up over here, so bring what you can or bring a lot of cash.

Takes a while but it is the old phrase, "earn a dollar spend a dollar"

It's difficult asking people who have been here a while what is cheap and what isn't, some convert a $2.00 to the pound others at $2.50 and some lucky people $3.00. The new people convert at $1.60 ish so it's an expensive place, but the wage increase should balance that out.

I do know electrical goods are cheaper now than when we arrived, cars are the same price, food seems the same, gas and lecky on the rise and don't mention rising house prices!

If you feel that going through the cost of Importation (which is really expensive) and the hassle is worth it because the car is Mint go for it. We considered bringing a work van over. In the U.K. it was worth maybe £2000 , in Oz same van was AU$ 20,000. So for a while we seriously looked into it. By the time you take cost of Shipping and then getting it through customs its not worth it. I think we had a final figure of £8,000.

Hope this helps?

thanks for the information

Thanks for reply - still learning how to navigate the PIA site - so apologies for slow reply.

We have 1000's of questions - so will probably be posting like mad soon!