Guest pompep

Shipping - is this true?

Guest pompep

Hi guys, I'd love to get some opinions from you on something I was told by a removalist we had around today for our move back to the UK.

He told us that if we didn't take out insurance... and the ship sank... we would be partially liable. This is an 'old, little known maritime law'.

Is it? Or are we the ones being taken for a ride, instead of our stuff?

Guest shella_n

What! That sounds like utter bo**ocks to me - not that im an expert - I had 5 people round for quotes and no one said that to me

Guest Guest75

I'd certainly be taking insurance out on your goods anyway.

Hard to believe what the removalist said though!

Guest sturg

it is definately true and it's called general average...whereby they split the cost of salvage between all shippers...my advice, get insurance

Guest Youngy65

Sturg is correct - the shipping line spreads the cost of the ship going down. Total Loss - aka - Restricted Cover Insurance would cover you against this. Should be about 2% of value - right?

cheers

Guest Nicky&Andy

our shipping from uk to oz was abit a last minute rush, we didnt even discuss insurance in the end, luckily our stuff arrived safely, bit of a risk

Guest pompep

wow - amazing thing. I had no idea about that - I'm wondering if it's cheaper (or even possible) to insure through a third party rather than the removalists' own insurance.

If anyone has done that successfully (and saved money in the process), please let me know! We're getting another couple of quotes and will post them on here, for a share of a container.

Guest shella_n

we insured through a 3rd party ourselves - will find the name if you want it - I think it cost us about £500 for our full 40ft container

We only insure part of our shipment and that was a waist of time .My tv turned up with a broken case and the insurance company only paid half the value as it still worked .

Think we also paid for insurance for sea snails as well.

Guest guest3462

We're shipping with pickfords and all in for a shared container with gold insurance and mould cover it was £185. This is our second lot of shipping due to the sale of our UK house. Last time we insured but didn't claim for anything and we havd stuff broken and stuff missing, but this time if anything is wrong we will defo be using it! In fact to be honest the stuff we are bringing I kind of hope that some of it is broken just so we can get new for old!! lol!

Guest Chandan

we had a nightmare with our shipping company , but one thing i remembered them saying was that if the ship sunk we would get the value of our insured things back and the cost of the removal fee refunded...

Though like getting blood out of a stone just to get our stuff here I wouldnt really want to see the excuses they give to get out of paying..

ps. my hubby does removals.. The offsiders,packers,drivers arent the ones to find out all the correct info. I'd double check with the removal companies office.

Guest pompep

I'm getting four quotes. I'll let y'all know what they say. :-)

Guest Roger

True. Take out the insurance, making sure that you stipulate a sum-insured adequate to replace all your items as new in the event of a complete disaster.