Drivers beware

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

A mate at work had a at fault car accident in October 2010, he actually called an ambo as the driver of the car in front didn't look too good, actually a frail pensioner with a walking stick. He called the ambo as he thought he was going to go into shock, (my mates a First Aider). So as the ambo was called police are automatically called, cops arrived asked the other driver if he wanted ambo he said no, ambo arrived and he again said no i'm ok. Cops did my mate a couple of demerit points and $255 fine. He goes home does all the insurance bit both cars repaired all ok.

Today he gets a letter from Allianz the car rego's third party (the yearly rego on your car) insurance asking him to fill out the details blah blah blah. His wife rang Allianz and was told if he was 24% or more at fault he would have to pay an excess of $300 as the other driver had claimed for a injury, this can be also claimed upto 3 YEARS after the accident.

So obviously the other driver has gone home then gone to his doctors or hospital claiming a injury, remember this can happen 3 years after the accident, so how come when paying the regos third party insurance you can still get stung.

Stevo

Guest cornish Busdriver
Does that mean everybody who is "at fault" will get demerrits and a fine?

Think it depends on the type of accident also dont forget that they can have your car impounded for 28 days as well if they want.

Guest Kazzarazza

Surely there has to be more to this story! You don't say how your mate was "at fault" bit I thought you only got fined if you're charged with dangerous driving or without due care and attention or something similar. I also thought cars could only be impounded for drink/drug driving, hooning or excessive speeding, etc.

Do you have any more detail?

Guest Guest5035
Surely there has to be more to this story! You don't say how your mate was "at fault" bit I thought you only got fined if you're charged with dangerous driving or without due care and attention or something similar. I also thought cars could only be impounded for drink/drug driving, hooning or excessive speeding, etc.

Do you have any more detail?

Yes he was at fault, got done for Failing to keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front. Silly thing is, he did the right thing and called the ambo, if no ambo then no fine!!

stevo

Guest Aussie pat
Maybe the man didn't have ambulance cover (not sure if pensioners get this free or not)

I'm not sure they do as my 77 yo Mum pays for her own ambulance cover here in Adelaide. The bill can be a problem for many people if they aren't covered as it's not cheap if they're called. Insurance cases used to be given the option of being treated as a private patient if necessary, not sure if this has changed. This would boost the claim made to the insurer.

Yes he was at fault, got done for Failing to keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front.

HMMM ozzie driver driving up soemones elses backside!!!! Never heard of that before!!!:biglaugh: