Primary Schools

richjop

Hi - First post on this forum.

We have just got our visas and are looking at coming out in July / August 07. I emailed about 10 primary schools in / around Adelaide 2 weeks ago and none have replied (we are looking at anywhere between Port Adelaide / Hills and Flagstaff Hill).

Is this normal? Does it mean they are all full or should I give them a reminder.

These were all state schools. As I haven't had any replies, I have emailed a few private schools, but looking at the enrolment forms they ask a lot of questions about where we go to church, etc. Am I right in thinking that for most private schools, preference is given to people who are a bit more religious than me (e.g. been to church in the last 15 years) but would still offer a place if they had one?

Final question - my son Ben will be 7 in May. Will he be likely to get a place in Term 3 / 4, or will he be likely to have to wait until January 2008?

Guest donna T

Hi there - might be worth trying again - I emailed a couple of primary schhols for info and they were really helpfull and replied straight away - maybe it didn't get through

When we came out here we just drove around, calling in on the schools in the areas we were looking at, asking if a tour would be possible. Generally primary schools aren't zoned so you shouldn't have to worry too much about that. Most schools were happy to show us around, or arrange a time for us to look around, and they were happy for the kids to start whenever we were ready, middle of the term, middle of the week, whatever. Can't speak for the private schools, but a lot of the cheaper, (and better I'd say) private schools have a religious background, although most still say they accept children of all faiths.

If you don't know where you'll end up settling, might be better to wait till you've at least got a short list, as it would be awful to pick a school, start your son there, then have to move him later.

Good luck and if you need any suggestions for NE primary schools, just ask!

D

Thanks for the replies.

I have sent a follow up to the ten primary schools we emailed two weeks ago. I received a reply from 2 of the private schools first thing today and have made appointments to see them.

As you said we will narrow down our search area a bit and then hopefully find one thats good and local.