Mr & Mrs Average pay??

Guest Guest5035

Guest BurgessFamily
From many jobs I see advertised even in trades and admin, most only pay 35- 40 K ( 20$-22$ ph 38 /40 hrs ). So based on the thread pasted earlier, both would need to work full time just to 'live' . That was my thought on how expensive it must be, even if there are no high lifestyle or frills .

Everyone is different as I say. Some live on less, some live on more. I even know a lass who earns far less and lives 'comfortably', though she doesn't have a dishwasher, tv or computer in her house (she doesn't want them).

If you look at the weekly earning specified by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS Avg weekly earnings), that states the average earning is over $68k (as of Nov 10) for full-time adult workers across Australia - note that SA often pays a lot less in some industries.

With regards to $35-$40k, the question would be did/could you manage on 15-20k GBP (based on long term average exchange rate) in the UK? It's a rough comparison, I know. I'm sure it's possible, but how does it fit with your 'lifestyle expectations'?

Guest guest4504

I do believe we could manage on that salary fine ( 15-20k £), however I am not actually converting $$ to ££. All my point is that on an earlier thread 70 - 80 K stated is what was needed, thats all, I aint going to start comparing exchange rate comparisons. All about costs to proportion of income imo.

Guest BurgessFamily
I do believe we could manage on that salary fine ( 15-20k £), however I am not actually converting $$ to ££. All my point is that on an earlier thread 70 - 80 K stated is what was needed, thats all, I aint going to start comparing exchange rate comparisons. All about costs to proportion of income imo.

If, as a family, you can manage on GBP 15-20k, I would imagine you could live on around $40k - on a PR visa you'd likely get Family Tax Benefit A, Family Tax Benefit B, and Rent Assistance + more (assuming you're happy taking benefits). Many things do seem expensive here, but there are some low cost things too (like fresh air).

Guest Guest5035
Many things do seem expensive here, but there are some low cost things too (like fresh air).

They'll tax that if they can!!:)

stevo

Guest guest4504
If, as a family, you can manage on GBP 15-20k, I would imagine you could live on around $40k - on a PR visa you'd likely get Family Tax Benefit A, Family Tax Benefit B, and Rent Assistance + more (assuming you're happy taking benefits). Many things do seem expensive here, but there are some low cost things too (like fresh air).

I am unsure of the family tax benefits A, B and the rent assist as never really looked into it. As for the 'Happy taking benefits' I am probably one of the few thats not bothered if people are on them, so as long as they are working and trying and not p***ing it all away. If I was in need then yes I would take the help to support until I could get a foot up, as in the long term I would contribute more. I think as long as a person tries he or she should not let their pride get in the way of help in their family costs. People do fall down once in a while I recon. I never claimed yet though, dont intend to either unless needed.

The fresh air is so true, and with views a cheap bicycle can be very inexpensive to use once bought.