Electricians Quals

Guest keith&ju

Guest keith&ju

Hi all. I wonder if anyone can give me a definitive answer to this question.

Im a fully qualified electrician looking to move out to Adelaide in about March next year. I've done the Vetassess bit, got the visa and just waiting on the sale of our house before we move. In the meantime, I was under the impression that you can start your Australian regs course in England so that youre almost ready to apply for your licence when you get out there. Ive looked on the PEER website and spoken to them on the phone and they have told me that I need to get an ARTC certificate first before I can start the distant learning stuff. At the same time, I have also been told by our agent that I cant do any distant learning and that I have to do it all when we arrive.

Which one is the right way of doing this? And whats TAFE??

If anyone knows, please let me know. Im going greyer by the day worrying about this!!!

Hello,

Its a mine field for sparkies but im almost at the end of it so can help you. Bin the vets route or you will be working as a trades assistant for 12 months.

Apply to the TRA for an ARTC certificate now you have the visa. Email this girl at PEER Rebecca@peer.com.au you can start the wiring regs course via distance learning as long as you have a OSTR or the ARTC so someone has told you wrong there. They post the books and distance learning stuff over and if you get this done its just a week at the PEER collage and then with the ARTC and the wiring regs cert you can get your A class licence straight away. TAFE is just another name for the collage as far as im aware.

Hope this helps and let us know if you need anymore help.

Guest keith&ju

Thanks for that. I assume a trades assisstant is another name for dogs body. Minimum wages for maximum work.

The ARTC, did you have to pay for that ($300) and on the their website it says that you might have to sit another exam for it? And I assume they take into account that you've already done the Vetassess exam.

And looking at your time line it looks like we've been neck and neck throughout the process. Its been a long time coming but we cant wait to get over there.

Yes you have to pay for the ARTC but it is worth it. Sometimes they do telephone interviews or a test day but i was lucky and got my electrical mechanics cert from the evidence i provided without any interviews. I guess its down to each individualy qualifications/experience ect. They dont take the vets into account atall and its much more rigid. A lot of people who pass the vets fail to get a ARTC cert for some reason.

We cant wait to get there to now. Fingers crossed it will be next month just waiting for the house contracts to exchange and then we will be able to book the flights. Its been a long time coming but nearly there now.

Guest keith&ju

Thanks for the info - we emailed ARTC but they have just sent us back a reply saying that the ARTC can only be issued to an applicant who is currently residing in Australia and that we have to provide them with address details as proof we are living there before they will process the application..... did they ask you for the same thing?

Hi, i have looked on the British Expats forum on the electricians threads and the TRA have changed the rules so you now have to be in Aus before they will assess. I applied before the rule change so got assesed from the UK just before the rule change. Very unfair for you to have to be there first as the assesment can take 8-12 weeks.

Guest Barney Rubble

Man you guys need to stress less :jiggy:

Have posted something in the other topic for you all :wink:

Drop me a line if you need any other info.

Cheers

BR

PS. Unless your Arsenal supporters