Secondry Applicant - help!

Guest EmmaB

Hi guys......we are trying to get the 120 points needed for full residency visa instead of the state sponsor visa.....if we include me as a secondary applicant we get 5 extra points - has anyone gone through this route and if so what qualifications did you need? I don't know whether it's just any post secondary qualification or whether they are strict with what quals you have i.e if you haven't got a degree you can't be counted etc....

Can anyone help, we're getting very confused!

Thanks

Em:wacko:

Hiya Dan and Steph

Thanks for this, but what I need to know is what level of qualification do you need to have as a second applicant to gain the extra 5 points...It says post secondary qualifications but does this have to be a degree? or would a 2 year further education college course suffice?!

Can't seem to find the answer for love nor money?!

Cheers

Em

Guest banjo70

Hi,

As a secondary applicant you will be assessed on your skilled occupation to get the points. So like your OH you need to see if your skill in on the SOL and then apply to the relevent authority for a skills assesment. If you pass this then it will not matter what level of qualification you have.

Banjo

Thanks so much for that, so as long as im on the list for occupation i.e Office Manager/Marketing it shouldn't really matter then?

Only apparently I have to send my qualifications off to be assessed by Vetassess as did my partner who is the main applicant...is this something you've had to do as well?

Cheers again for the reply!

em

Dear Em,

Every job on the SOL list has an official job description which states very specifically what level of education you need. For instance, I am applying as a Private Drama Tutor and my job description states I must have a minimum of a batchelor's degree in order to be positively assessed. Most professional jobs require a university degree but then skills assessment is easy as it's just sending transcripts and certified copy of the diploma. In order to get the 5 points you need the same relative work experience in your assessed profession as main appilcant as well. I can never relocate the actual web address for this but if you put in SOL and the job you want job description for (ie SOL Marketing job description) you should get some joy.

Liz

Hi all, thanks heaps for all your information above it really helped! However the bad news came yesterday, for me to claim an extra 5 points as a secondary applicant I need to have a degree or equivalent and my Level 3 qualification is one level short of the new requirement, apparently they upped the level in 2006 arrgghh so frustrating. So it's back to the original idea of state sponsorship with Adelaide..you only need 100 points for this (we're currently on 115) just so annoying to be that close but yet soooo far!!

Thanks anyway guys!

Em

Guest deborah

Can't your partner take the english test to bump up your points? he would get an extra 10 points, unless he has already taken the test and hence yout total is 115 from that.

You need to check that S.Aus are sponsoring his profession you can go onto S.A. immigration website and e.mail them, I did. There is also a list of professions currently being sponsored.

Debs