Anyone from the Nottingham area?

Guest Helen8367

hi all

we are from mansfield and have been in australia for 8 weeks ( 7 in adelaide) on 136 visas we are new to all this. everything going ok girls in school and happy, husband in work, and we have got a rented house in Aberfoyle Park which is great.

weather is hot hot hot but compared to storms at home HMMMMM which am i going to choose????

met some great people and loving it so far..

good luck to everyone going through the visa process its well worth the wait!!

jo (21again) paul 37 lucy 9 and isabel 6

Hi Jo

Another one from Mansfield! Thats where Im originally from! Went to all Saints school Lived in Forest Town! Where did you live?

Glad you are loving Adelaide its great to hear!

We are setting off tomorow, Singapore for a few days then onto Adelaide - get there Monday staying Morphett Vale area.

On a reccie to validate visa and then back to UK to sell house.

Dont miss Mansfield then?!!!

Susan

hi susan

lived off berryhill lane and went to sherwood hall school for my sins( its was ok then0 husband went to QE boys.

everything great so far. miss my mum and Next on the retail park. lucy misses dancing.

Morphett Vale not too far away from where we are living so when you get here email me and we could meet up if you like.

good luck selling house it took us 10 months as the market just went flat. what agents are you using

jo

Guest jonbj5
hi all

we are from mansfield and have been in australia for 8 weeks ( 7 in adelaide) on 136 visas we are new to all this. everything going ok girls in school and happy, husband in work, and we have got a rented house in Aberfoyle Park which is great.

weather is hot hot hot but compared to storms at home HMMMMM which am i going to choose????

met some great people and loving it so far..

good luck to everyone going through the visa process its well worth the wait!!

jo (21again) paul 37 lucy 9 and isabel 6

Hi Jo

Glad that everythings going alright for you. Whats Aberfoyle Park like (rentals, schools, etc). Weve been looking at Hallet Cove amongst other areas for when we finally get there.

(1-2 years :sad:). Ive been to Mansfield a few times (my mum and aunt live in Kirkby!)

Enjoy that sunshine, its rainy and windy here, as usual! ;):arghh:

Kirsty

Guest EmmaB

Hi all - im orginally from Nottingham, well Mansfield to be precise. But currently living in London until we hopefully get our visas and make it to Oz!!

Good to hear from those that have made the moved already, how is everyone finding Adelaide? my only concern is that coming from such a big/busy city as London is Adelaide going to be too quite for us? any advice would be welcome....

Thanks

Em and Dij

Hi Helen

My partner and I lived in Gedling before we emigrated in March 2007.

We have been in Australia 1 year now and absolutely love it and I am pleased to report that hoodies, chavs and Vicky Pollards are very few and far between and can only be spotted in certain suburbs!

The process took us 18 months, so like you say you have got a long way to go but in my opinion and as the saying goes 'all good things come to those that wait!'

Guest Nick11
Hi Jo

Glad that everythings going alright for you. Whats Aberfoyle Park like (rentals, schools, etc). Weve been looking at Hallet Cove amongst other areas for when we finally get there.

(1-2 years :sad:). Ive been to Mansfield a few times (my mum and aunt live in Kirkby!)

Kirsty

Ooh I worked in Kirkby for 17 years at a couple of schools there - is it still the beautiful paradise that it's always been!

Guest jonbj5
Hi Helen

My partner and I lived in Gedling before we emigrated in March 2007.

We have been in Australia 1 year now and absolutely love it and I am pleased to report that hoodies, chavs and Vicky Pollards are very few and far between and can only be spotted in certain suburbs!

The process took us 18 months, so like you say you have got a long way to go but in my opinion and as the saying goes 'all good things come to those that wait!'

Hi Jessica

Glad to hear that you have settled in well. What part of Adelaide are you living in? Which areas would you recommend?

Kirsty:)

Guest jonbj5
Ooh I worked in Kirkby for 17 years at a couple of schools there - is it still the beautiful paradise that it's always been!

Hi Nick

Good on you for escaping the mad house (we aren't far behind you) :biglaugh: My mum and aunt live in Nuncar Court if you know it, one of the residents sons burnt 2 of her cars out in the past few weeks :shocked: luckily, the police have finally locked him up! So things are quiet (for now). Apart from that, lol, its still the same as what most places in England are like now (hoodies, muggings, etc, the list could go on). Can't wait to make the big move ourselves, just wish we could take the rest of the family with us. (As you can tell, I'm fed up with this country, like most people;)) How are you finding living in Adelaide then? What areas would you recommend?

Guest Helen8367

Jessica berry - Where in gedling were you? How does Ad compare????? If at all?

Love hearing from local people who have made the move and I am really pleased that you are enjoying it.

Theres been a lot of negative stuff over last few days but lets face it.............it cant be worse than here and lifes what you make it. I am not going through this thinking life is gonna be all rosey - its not that here so why should it be in Oz................but if its just that little bit better then I'm up for it

Someone who is coming back from oz to Uk said they were conming back because of food being same price as at home and not much greenery because of it being dry etc.....if someone tells me theyre coming home because theres high crime / druggies / gangs terrorising people / less jobs than UK (unless you want minimum wage and unable to have chat with colleagues as they cant speak very good english)........maybe then I'll have second thoughts.

Until then I'm going for it!!

Sorry for the bit of doom on a Friday morning but if your from Midlands - sure you'll understand!!

Guest Nick11
Hi Nick

Good on you for escaping the mad house (we aren't far behind you) :biglaugh: My mum and aunt live in Nuncar Court if you know it, one of the residents sons burnt 2 of her cars out in the past few weeks :shocked: luckily, the police have finally locked him up! So things are quiet (for now). Apart from that, lol, its still the same as what most places in England are like now (hoodies, muggings, etc, the list could go on). Can't wait to make the big move ourselves, just wish we could take the rest of the family with us. (As you can tell, I'm fed up with this country, like most people;)) How are you finding living in Adelaide then? What areas would you recommend?

We live in Woodcroft - love it down south - in my opinion much nicer than the north. And before anyone starts getting offended the north is lovely as well - but not just for us.

You'll never regret coming here.

I promise.

Jessica berry - Where in gedling were you? How does Ad compare????? If at all?

Love hearing from local people who have made the move and I am really pleased that you are enjoying it.

Theres been a lot of negative stuff over last few days but lets face it.............it cant be worse than here and lifes what you make it. I am not going through this thinking life is gonna be all rosey - its not that here so why should it be in Oz................but if its just that little bit better then I'm up for it

Someone who is coming back from oz to Uk said they were conming back because of food being same price as at home and not much greenery because of it being dry etc.....if someone tells me theyre coming home because theres high crime / druggies / gangs terrorising people / less jobs than UK (unless you want minimum wage and unable to have chat with colleagues as they cant speak very good english)........maybe then I'll have second thoughts.

Until then I'm going for it!!

Sorry for the bit of doom on a Friday morning but if your from Midlands - sure you'll understand!!

We used to live on Stoke Lane in Gedling heading down to the Ferry Boat pub. I used to live in Arnold and my boyfriend is from West Bridgford before we moved to Gedling.

The main advice I can offer you and anyone else coming over here is to come with the right attitude. I visited Australia on a 1 year working holiday visa in 1996-97 and worked and travelled around. Back then I felt it was a land of opportunities for people and I still feel that way today. My partner had never been to Australia when we emigrated in March 2007 and my advice to him as to anyone, is you just need to get a job show them what you can do and you will go far. My partner works in IT and landed a job within a week of being in Adelaide and it took me 10 weeks to find a job. We are both doing very well in our jobs and once you prove yourself the sky is the limit. You have to remember you are coming to a country where generally no one has heard of the companies you worked for or the qualifications you have and you have to be prepared to start from scratch again. If you come with the attitude that you will only work for this much and only want a job at this level, then I would suggest you stay in the UK.

I would like to add though that we both work longer hours than we did in the UK, get less holiday and our mortgage is a lot higher than it was in the UK, but would we go back to Nottingham - DEFINITELY NOT!!

What price can you put on driving to work in the sunshine in a morning and seeing a clear blue sky, walking along a beach, feeling safe and secure, living where people are friendly, happy and want to talk to you and living in a society where common sense generally prevails. Life is just more pleasant.

If you have anymore questions, I am happy to help.

Hi Jo

Kirsty

hi Kirsty

Aberfoyle park is ok. we like the area and the girls love the school.

there is Aberfoyle Hub primary which is just up the road from Aberfoyle High school. but my girls goto the Aberfoyle campus, which has 3 primary schools on it. a catholic school, a uniting church of australia( like C of E) and the state school.

happy valley and flagstaff hill are the next areas and seem ok.

jo

Guest jonbj5

Hi Robert

Just wanted to say good luck for your new life in Adelaide. We live near Heanor at the mo, just starting on the visa process, so we have a while to go yet:sad:. We are still debating over moving to Adelaide or Perth. What area are you planning on settling in? Let us know how you get on. :)

Kirsty, Ian, Emily & Matthew

• 1 year later...