Sign in to follow this  
Guest paulocon

Proposed 4 year wait for Permanent Residency??

Guest paulocon

Hi all, not sure how many people this may affect but according to my agent's website - The Aussie Government are planning to up the waiting period for PR to 4 or even 5 years with immediate effect.

Does anyone know therefore HOW this will affect people like myself who intend to go out on a temporary SIR visa which is provisionally for 2-3 years only (and then with an option to apply for PR). If this is the new legislation then what options will people have until they are eligible to apply for PR as once your visa has expired will you be allowed to remain in the country - I am a little confused by this new ruling, can anyone help!!!

Paul

Guest hayls

Hi paul, oh god not more confusion!!! i stuggle enough as it is have you had a look on the south australion immigration websit to see if there is any thing on there , i might have look now!!

Hayls :evil:

Guest dglamoore

Hi Paul

Is this change definitely for PR?? I know they are changing the times for citizenship and the new proposal is for 3/4 years.

It used to be 2 years of being PR resident but now going up to 3 possibly 4 but will be counted from day you arrive to live so temp visa residence will now count so if on SIR no change really :D

Lisa

edited - have just found this which explains the changes to citizenship http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-and-policy/legislation/changesResidenceRequirementsQA.htm

Thanks for the clarification Lisa.........started to panic & I know you are on the same visa class as us.

Hope the meds :? today went well

Angela

The agency have replied & confirmed:

"Basically, DIMA have changed the timeframes for citizenship (NOT residency!). While this means people need to stay in Australia for longer before becoming eligible for citizenship, they have also made it easier for people on temporary visas (SIR 495 for example) to use the time spent as a temporary resident towards the eligibility requirement."

"In short, you cannot become a citizen until you are eligible as a permanent resident meeting the timeframes & you can apply for permanent residency as planned once you have met the conditions placed on your 495 visa. Applying for permanent residency is not an application for citizenship."

Hopefully this clarifies the situation. :)

Angela

Guest donna T

Thanks for the clarification. They do like to keep us on our toes don't they?

I can't beleive that after making us go through this whole process, they would then trip us up at the last hurdle..... at least I hope not !! Must keep positive :D