Life for 475 visa holders in SA

nevergiveup

I think that OPs should be able to ask contributors to keep on track, but I also think that some common courtesy should be shown on a community-based discussion forum. It does no harm to point out that 457s are different to 475s, but there's a way of doing it without putting people's backs up ...

Regarding what life is like here for those on 475 visas (I feel qualified to comment given that I originally arrived here on one of those) the visa type matters much less than the visa holder's attitude.

Jim

Hi all,

I was also granted a 475 visa after almost 3 years of waiting, applied in december 2009, granted in september 2012. I was told also there is needed local experience, which unfortunately can't be aquired if nobody will hire you. I was advised to have money for 6 months minimum and to accept any opportunity, even the cleaning and voluntary jobs. Of course there are personal experiences, good, bad, etc., but I can't imagine there is harder in Adelaide to get a job than in Europe. Of course, Jim and Adel have pointed right, the attitude does matter, but can somebody predict wheater the move will suits or not? Speaking only in terms of finding appropiate employment in a reasonable time and suitable with the finances. By the way, what will be the amount minimum to have for a family of three members for first month, which means settelment and the next month in terms of normal spending? I think this can be answered by the ones which are already in Adelaide.

thanks,

dns

Guest gormusoglu

How funny!! Must be my dyslexia flaring up again. Or am i just so tired of this 'trying to make my mind up about Australia' business, it is very draining!

Apologies everyone, didn't see the mistake lol xx

I arrived in Adelaide on the 21rst of October 2012 on a 475 visa (Marketing Manager). Within the first week I realized that it was tough for me to get hired as a marketing manager without any prior work experience here so I just went for a walk about the city and started handing out resume's to convenience stores, boutiques, shops and the works. I got employed by K-Food Express on November 7th 2012 (a chain convenience store) and have been working with them ever since. I am still looking for other jobs though. I was lucky to secure my rental on my second day of arrival and have made a lot of Aussie friends in the area I live in (Norwood). Regarding getting a job in your field, you never know. You might have a better chance than me. It all goes down to your priorities. I needed a job fast, anything to pay the bills, put food in my belly and pour beer down my throat :wink:

I have been here 4 months now and have fulfilled all the obligations asked of me until now. I like the city, the people and even their sense of humor. When they throw one at me (it usually starts with hey mate, have you met Ali? he's from Iran...) I give'em one back in a good natured sort of way (call it Iranian humor) :wink:

If anything new happens to me I will make sure to post it up here.

Cheers,:smile:

Ali

• 3 weeks later...

It depends. Try both approaches. Anyways it really doesn't matter what I think as I'm no expert. Try different ways and never give up. That's what I think:smile: