Need advice about Moving to Adelaide

sudipsaha

Hi everyone,

I just got my Visa :-). So doing a bit of research. What is the best time to move to Adelaide? I am an OSS Administrator. Basically i Administrate Solaris systems, database and Application itself. So, looking for a job in IT industry. Can anyone suggest a good recruitment agency? And also what is the best time to move to Adelaide to look for job?

BR//

SUDIP

It is probably easier to tell you the times to avoid. In general Nov, Dec and Jan Adelaide slows down/shuts down in terms of recruitment (there are always exceptions to the rule though). The financial year runs July - June in Australia, so leading up to June businesses will either be trying to spend their budget so may take people on probably temps or they have ran out of budget so will wait until the new financial year to take people on.

Probably best to arrive in lead up to June/July as mentioned previous. For IT work send off your CV to Hudson and Hayes etc... Both had lined up interviews for me for the first few weeks after arriving last year. Went with Hudson who got me a contracting job which has since become fulltime.

We arrived last July.

Good luck with the move when it comes.

Guest cloudnine

Sorry to nip in on a thread, but MattyEgg, how did you get in contact with Huson and Hayes, was it a case of sending your CV and a covering letter in my email to them? Coming in Sept and a System Admin like you guys (Microsoft MCSA) Really struggling with whether I'll get work or not. So any advice would be apprecated.

Whilst the financial year runs as described, many larger companies (including my employer) base their financial year on the calendar year. I'm not convinced about arriving to coincide with a certain 'best' time for jobs. I'd avoid Christmas period because of shutdowns (although it can take a few weeks to get things sorted and settled, so some 'downtime' when first getting here might not be a bad thing), but otherwise I'd just get here and start applying - some people walk straight into work and for others it can take several months regardless of when they arrive. I reckon the latter is more likely than the former in the current climate.

Jim