IB or SACE

Guest Spratnat

Guest Spratnat

Hi would anyone be able to help me work out what will be best for my children's education. We are looking at moving out to adelaide next year (as my hubby may be getting a transfer). My 15 yr old twins will complete their gcse's in the June. Would it be better for them to the IB diploma as I think it is more like a'levels of would the SACE be ok? Also my 13 old daughter would just be about to take her options. Would she be better doing the IB or would the certificate be ok? I also have 10 year old twins, but I think they would be more adaptable to either as they are still in primary school! I just worry about their education qualifications being accepted in England if for some reason we had to come back! Also my oldest boy wants to do medical school so would the SACE be ok for him to get into medical school with? Sorry lots of questions I know!!!! Nat

Guest Guest12727

I can see your dilemma.

SACE is the standard route of entry for any university entrance in SA, including medical school. 5 subjects are studied, each has a max score of 20. (some students do more and use their highest 5). The final tertiary entrance ranking (TER) is out of 100 points. The score achieved enables, or otherwise, entrance to university programs. For medicine you would need 99ish. The IB will also qualify for entry to uni here, with a TER generated. See SATAC for further details.

It may be worth doing the IB if you are considering uni back in UK, but I suggest you contact the university admissions system there for clarification.

There are several schools around Adelaide that the IB can be studied at. I have no knowledge on whether it makes any difference to students ability at Tertiary level. I teach at uni and it has never come up. Maybe some-one else has an idea.

Guest Rachael M Bowen

Please can I ask what IB is? thanks

Oh just realised it's the Inter Bacc (DOH!)........, which leads to another question. My son is doing the English Bacc at the moment in the UK. (I think this has now been scrapped over here but as he started this in Year 9 as his options they are allowing those following this route to complete) will the Eng Bacc be recognised over there?

Edited by Rachael M Bowen
Blonde moment!