Reena1991

Question for those relief teachers

Hi,

I have a question about getting a mortgage as a relief teacher or tutor. Basically when we arrive, we will be renting to start with but don't want to be stuck renting forever so after a few years we would like to look into purchasing our own home. my OH will be working as a mechanic full time and I hope to get tutoring work initially but once the kids are of school age I would like to go back to primary teaching. From what I can tell, a permanent teaching job will be pretty much impossible to get, so my job will be relief work, and therefore my salary wouldn't be guaranteed. Does this mean that I wouldn't be considered to be an applicant for a mortgage? If so I doubt we'd be able to get a mortgage ( unless I rethink my career!) as hubby's salary of 50-60 k prob won't be enough??! Deposit would be about 50k.

thanks to anyone who can advise on mortgages for people who don't have permanent contracts or guaranteed salaries :biggrin:

Hi Reena

There are lenders that will consider casual work for servicing a mortgage. Of these lenders there will be different policies around how long you would need to have been in the role ranging from around 3 months - 12 months.

Hope this answers your question?

Regards

Andy

Thanks for your reply Andy, good to hear that there might be a way to be considered on the mortgage application, hopefully the relief work will be regular enough to make a decent contribution!

Guest Guest12727

Hi, we have obtained a mortgage with me just working casually and my husband in full-time permanent work. So long as they think you are likely to have ongoing work, by showing a fairly consistent work history that is fine, they will take your income into account.