Imperial Tools for Mechanics

tomamylancaster

We're planning on heading over in 2015, and as a mechanic I'll be taking all my tools and diagnostic equipment. I only have metric tools and wondering if it's worth investing in any imperial stuff before heading over? Is imperial common in Aus? Or is it mainly metric?

Would rather buy good quality Snap On and I've heard it's cheaper in the UK, so will stock up before I go if it's something I'm going to need on a regular basis.

Cheers, Tom

Depends where you end up working I suppose. I came over with metric only and for the first year worked in a general garage. For the odd old American clunker that came in I got by with with the stuff the garage owned. If you are a dealer tech then you probably won't need any imperial.

As for diagnostic gear, if you have Multiscan or Carman it's well worth bringing, that will cover most of what you see here, everything else I brought has been pretty much redundant. I did however put my Pico on EBay and it sold for more than I paid in the UK for it.

Good Luck!

Depends where you end up working I suppose. I came over with metric only and for the first year worked in a general garage. For the odd old American clunker that came in I got by with with the stuff the garage owned. If you are a dealer tech then you probably won't need any imperial.

As for diagnostic gear, if you have Multiscan or Carman it's well worth bringing, that will cover most of what you see here, everything else I brought has been pretty much redundant. I did however put my Pico on EBay and it sold for more than I paid in the UK for it.

Good Luck!

Thanks for that @Steve_H. Hoping to get a job in an independent garage, so doesn't sound like it's worth investing in a huge amount of imperial stuff.