AFL Hall of Fame Tribute Match

Guest morgie@51

Guest Django

Seriously though, anyone can say what they want as long as it's not rude or offensive, can't they? I think Fatso just got a bit precious about it...it does sometimes seem that people on these forums are mad about soccer, but totally derisive about footy, and as the game of Australia that does seem a bit rude.:unsure:

Well he is safe from me as I will fit in well with the aussie sports fans coz as I do enjoy watching football and for my sins a QPR fan, my first sporting love has always been and will be forever cricket. I believe they play a little bit out there. ;)

Or do I have to love AFL or they won't let me in the country? :skeptical:

As for playing it.... I played (in my younger days) for an expat aussie team pub based in Harlesden (NW London) we played against other similar teams manily from the same area but also from some from the Earls Court area. If anyone knows the area they would have drunk in the pub before they went into the more expensive 'The Mean Fiddler' on their evening out. Happy Days. :)

Pete

Guest morgie@51
1. Ooh...a little paranoid perhaps?:wacko: I don't think you were the only one to yawn at AFL!

Pete wasn't the only one who yawned, I too am guilty of the same reaction :SLEEP:.

Not sure that I am guilty of deriding the sport, indeed in one of my posts I did recognise some of the undoubted qualities of the sport. It is also a fair point to suggest going to a game which I had planned on doing all along and not enjoying watching the sport on TV wouldn't sway me from this (just have to wait until I have an income before I could justify the entrance fee).

However, I do have to point out that you don't have to know every single minute detail of the rules to decide if you enjoy watching a sport or not. After all, I am not a great rugby fan (either code) and have lost track of all the rule changes in union in particular but still enjoy watching the odd game on TV. Additionally, I haven't a clue about the rules to ice hockey but again enjoy that when I occasionally catch it. Having watched a few bits of various AFL games over the last 4 weeks I had gleaned enough knowledge to understand sufficient of the rules to decide in my own mind if I was enjoying what I was watching. I didn't.

Yes we have come to assimilate but I don't think that means blindly enjoying everything that goes on here or is quoted as being 'South Australian'. Some things I will find I enjoy and join in with, other things I will find that I don't enjoy and will not particularly bother with. If any of my children get into AFL then I shall encourage them, take them to watch games and if they play go and watch them with pride.

Some earlier comments are on the verge of suggesting that you have to enjoy Aussie Rules to be a South Australian. Hmm, I might be wrong but I suspect that not everyone who loves AFL loves cricket, which I was lead to believe was another great passion around here. I love my cricket and am looking forward to going and watching some at the worlds prettiest test venue (allegedly). SO that's 1 out of 2, maybe that means I am destined to only become half a South Australian and will end up just being a common or garden Australian :biglaugh:.

Guest ali@51

I love my cricket and am looking forward to going and watching some at the worlds prettiest test venue (allegedly).

Hmmmmmmm don't plan on watching much of this one either!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Pete its not me thats brave because I'm 10,000 miles away its him!:)