Job Prospects for IT Project Managers

Phil-S

Hi,

I'm in the process of visa application, I'm an IT Project Manager, manage fairly large IT integration projects in the UK. Looking around on the job sites there doesn't seem to be that many opportunities - I'd be happy contracting or with a permanent role - can anyone advise what the market is like right now?

Hi Phil,

Im based in Sydney , but am moving to Adelaide in the next 4-5 months. I do PM work also, based in Sydney,  and have been looking at the market in Adelaide for awhile, all online  mind you, I have only touched base with one agency thus far. From what I can see there are not too many roles coming up, and most of the ones that do seem to be in Government agencies, which require applicants to be Citizens and have security clearance. I have seen roles that dont require citizenship however so all is not lost.

Contracting seems to be the way to go....and certainly that is the market in Sydney. As  I am not yet on the ground in Adelaide  its difficult to say exactly what the market is like until then...I am happy to stay in contact and share experiences.

Cheers

Sean.

My OH and I have recently changed jobs.  I finished my previous job on Friday and started my new job on the Monday.  Recruitment process involved an initial phone screen interview (this is common to try and exclude people from the shortlist often due to the volume of applications, so it is important you prepare what to say beforehand), a formal interview, police check, ref check.  My OH secured a new job, the process involved 2 panel interviews, police check, medical, ref checks...the process takes times, but this would be the same for us if we were applying for jobs in the UK.  Both of these jobs were newly created jobs, so despite the doom and gloom about the Adelaide job market there are jobs out there, but in my opinion, it depends what you do, what you are willing to do, what your expectations are, your attitude and understanding of the Adelaide job market and how to approach it. There is also a big emphasis on cultural fit and whether you will fit into the company and work well with the existing workers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all - great to have all your comments, sorry for the delay in getting back...

Well - all I can ask is that we keep in touch on this topic - as people move and experience life in Adelaide please let us know how the job market seems. My wife and I are considering Melbourne now as an alternative - purely as a stepping stone to Adelaide, thinking if we secure employment and citizenship over there, then it may mean it might be easier securing a role in Adelaide a little down the line

It's not an ideal situation for us, we've got a couple of young kids so moving them each time is tough on them - still weighing it up

So please - keep in touch and if you hear of anyone looking for experienced IT Project Managers, then post it up

Phil