Can we go on a 457 while applying for 475?

Guest brandyslad

Guest brandyslad

We are applying for a 475 visa but this is going to take a while, are we allowed to go out on a 457 visa whilst our application for a 475 is being processed?

My OH would be able to get a 457 visa but we want something with the chance of residency and I have already started my Vetassess for the 475 but understand this will take quite a while.

Hi Brandyslad

There is nothing to stop you from using a 457 employer-sponsored visa in order to enable you to go out to Oz promptly. You can submit an application for a provisional subclass 475 visa either before or after you reach Oz.

Please bear in mind that the 475 is an offshore visa, therefore the whole family will need to be outside Oz for a few days in order for it to be granted and the visa labels put into your passports.

DIAC say to go offshore for about 5 working days but in practice it is often cheaper to arrange a 7 or 10 night package holiday to either Fiji or NZ (where the DIAC office is in Auckland) than to arrange flights, hotels etc independently. Your CO simply sends a "pre-grant letter" when the visa is ready, asking you to make arrangements to go offshore and to let your CO know when you are going and where to. They are content to wait till you find that specially cheap special offer.

Best wishes

Gill