Engineers Australia

Guest mightyBouch

Guest mightyBouch

I have been going through the requirements for getting my qualifications assessed and have a query regarding Engineers Australia.

I currently hold an engineering position, but only have trade qualifications.

On the web site it says not to proceed if you have only trade qualifications. On reading the Migration Skills Assessment booklet it seems you can proceed using the Competency Demonstration Report route.

I am currently a member of The IET and looking to gain recognition from the engineering council for IEng, I have not yet completed my Open University degree.

I was wondering if anyone has used this route or can offer any advice.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Dave & Carole

Hi Mike,

I am also Bristol based and an Engineer!

I went through the IEA earlier this year, but using the Washington Accord, which was fine, if a little time consuming as I needed to get references from all my previous employers from the last 4 years. Luckily I was still on good terms with everybody.

I have a friend who went through the competency based route with a different organisation (he's a telecoms engineer) this year. He reckons it took him quite a while, as he had to write a fairly lengthy description of his whole working history, with lots of info on his achievements and application of his knowledge. I think it ran to some 80 pages!!!

Good luck!

Cheers

Dave

I know a friend who is now in Brisbane who has been helping me. He went this route and it worked for them. Im IET and CEng so I hope I can help. My general understanding though is that you need to show your competences to Engineers Australia. If you IET then the IET Aus may be able to give you more info as well as Eng Australia.

But is it not worth your while trying with the qualifications and skills you have to TRA (Trades Australia). Do you have Electrician qualification or a HND.

Guest mightyBouch

Hi there

My main trade qualifications were gathered when I worked for East Midlands Electricity (now Central networks) as an overhead linesman, they were City & Guilds parts 1,2 and 3 as well as a few supplementary electronics. I also have BTec ONC in Electrical Engineering.

I also have 5 modules towards my Open University degree, I am due to complete this next year with a BSc Open.

Mike

quote=DianeJ;58285]I know a friend who is now in Brisbane who has been helping me. He went this route and it worked for them. Im IET and CEng so I hope I can help. My general understanding though is that you need to show your competences to Engineers Australia. If you IET then the IET Aus may be able to give you more info as well as Eng Australia.

But is it not worth your while trying with the qualifications and skills you have to TRA (Trades Australia). Do you have Electrician qualification or a HND.

My husband is writing this.

If you have sparks quals is it possible you could apply as a sparks. Its a 60 point trade.

Try this arithmetic and see it applies to you.

Trade Sparks 60 points

On Skills in demand 15 points

English lang 25

Ur age i dont know.

Does your partner have a trade or profession that I think gets you points.

I know you get more points for doing the job now but does this rule you out of applying this way?

But a friend of mine is a PLC/SCADA engineer and he obtained his Aus visa without a degree probably the way your mentioning. He just proved he was an engineer from references and maybe an interview. Also the state governments are very helpful, particularly South Australia. Try their websites.

But remember they want you. The system is there to let in people they want. But remember most of the engineering jobs in Aus want a degree or a grade 1 elec license. I my opinion you will need a degree to get an engineering job. Will you have your degree before you go.

Also the IET in Aus may be able to help you. Also some of the larger more professional Visa organisation from the internet will give you an assesment and free advice by phone.

Im going to Adelaide with family in Feb. Im a EC&I Engineer and CEng and MIET.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions post on here again.

Guest mightyBouch

Thanks Diane's husband!

Although I do have the sparks qualifications, I have not worked in that field for 14 years!! so I think that rules out applying using this route.

After being a linesman, I worked as a power station technician for 7 years and then became a Power System Engineer with National Grid where I have been (apart from 7 sorry months with British Energy as an Energy Trader) since 2002. I currently work in the Electricity National Control Centre where I am part of a team that manages the National Grid and ensures your lights stay on!

So I have a varied career history but no degree as yet, I should complete this next year.

I went to the London expo a few weeks ago and there were a few electricity distribution companies there but were looking for tradesmen such as linesmen and cable jointers and as I had been out of the game for some time they weren't interested.

Thanks for the info, I'm off to read more on Engineers Australia!!

Cheers

Mike

My husband is writing this.

If you have sparks quals is it possible you could apply as a sparks. Its a 60 point trade.

Try this arithmetic and see it applies to you.

Trade Sparks 60 points

On Skills in demand 15 points

English lang 25

Ur age i dont know.

Does your partner have a trade or profession that I think gets you points.

I know you get more points for doing the job now but does this rule you out of applying this way?

But a friend of mine is a PLC/SCADA engineer and he obtained his Aus visa without a degree probably the way your mentioning. He just proved he was an engineer from references and maybe an interview. Also the state governments are very helpful, particularly South Australia. Try their websites.

But remember they want you. The system is there to let in people they want. But remember most of the engineering jobs in Aus want a degree or a grade 1 elec license. I my opinion you will need a degree to get an engineering job. Will you have your degree before you go.

Also the IET in Aus may be able to help you. Also some of the larger more professional Visa organisation from the internet will give you an assesment and free advice by phone.

Im going to Adelaide with family in Feb. Im a EC&I Engineer and CEng and MIET.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions post on here again.

• 2 months later...