Welders / Metal Fabricators licensing ???? Is it needed???

Guest Aussiebound

Guest Aussiebound

Hi everyone I have posted the same thread on the Welcome page but then found this one - sorry if you've already read it!

Can any of you help us - please???????

We have just received TRA back - successful.

But with it came a letter saying that if we have been accepted in engineering, electrical or metal fabrication (Neils trade) or welding trade we may be eligible for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC) issued by TRA but we can only apply for this when we arrive in Australia as a resident. We have different addresses etc to contact but the agent doesn't seem to be able to help on this one.

Is this the same as Licensing as with plumbers, gas fitters etc or is it optional to stand a better chance of gaining employment. Do we need this before Neil can start work as a metal fabricator / boilermaker??:confused:

Any help with this one really appreciated!!:D

Guest dglamoore

Not had any personal experience of this as Greg is a Metal Polisher and does not need it. I know there are quite a few trades that need a further TRA on arrival so best keep a copy of all your paperwork and bring it with you. Is there a contact number you could ring for advice along with the address they gave you?

I am sure someone on here may be able to help more:D

Lisa:cool:

Guest sarah_clancy

I wouldn't worry, I'm a hairdresser and found it a lot of hassle to get in touch with someone about my trade, but i did eventually call the TAFE and they gave me a number...I called and left a msg, leaving my email address and the man sent me all the info i needed...basically the form to fill out and the address to go to with all my evidence and certificates. So thy could translate it into there qualifications!

If you do a bit of research mayb you could do the same?

Guest sarah_clancy

when you arrive in oz to basically prove you are what you sau you are, then they will give you sum kind of license in whatever trade it is.

Guest tinbasher
Hi everyone I have posted the same thread on the Welcome page but then found this one - sorry if you've already read it!

Can any of you help us - please???????

We have just received TRA back - successful.

But with it came a letter saying that if we have been accepted in engineering, electrical or metal fabrication (Neils trade) or welding trade we may be eligible for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC) issued by TRA but we can only apply for this when we arrive in Australia as a resident. We have different addresses etc to contact but the agent doesn't seem to be able to help on this one.

Is this the same as Licensing as with plumbers, gas fitters etc or is it optional to stand a better chance of gaining employment. Do we need this before Neil can start work as a metal fabricator / boilermaker??:confused:

Any help with this one really appreciated!!:D

Hi Aussiebound

We used to live in Hull, also worked 3-4 years in Immingham shipyard at Humbership repairer. I came over 19months ago as a first-class sheetmetal worker after completing TRA. I've had a few jobs since arriving here, never required or been asked for a licence or an ARTC although most employers are keen to see evidence of apprenticeship and past experiences so bring that over in your suitcase. We came over on visa 136, don't know if that makes a difference to your circumstance. As you will probably know electrician, plumbers & refrigeration engineers need to resit refresher courses and tests and pay for licences when over here which was not the case for sheetmetal workers/boilermakers.

Hope this is some help to you.

Tony

Guest Aussiebound
Hi Aussiebound

We used to live in Hull, also worked 3-4 years in Immingham shipyard at Humbership repairer. I came over 19months ago as a first-class sheetmetal worker after completing TRA. I've had a few jobs since arriving here, never required or been asked for a licence or an ARTC although most employers are keen to see evidence of apprenticeship and past experiences so bring that over in your suitcase. We came over on visa 136, don't know if that makes a difference to your circumstance. As you will probably know electrician, plumbers & refrigeration engineers need to resit refresher courses and tests and pay for licences when over here which was not the case for sheetmetal workers/boilermakers.

Hope this is some help to you.

Tony

Hi and Thank you

That has helped us so much. When the TRA came back it just said in the letter that this might be a requirement - quite vague really.

Hope life in Adelaide better than Hull! Know Hull quite well.

from Sarah

Guest tinbasher

Hi no worries

Life's good over here thanks. Finally on a steady footing after a year and a half. It's been raining here at last never thought I'd say that here. Say, 'Hi,' to Hull for me next time you are heading that way.

Tony