Weather

Guest duncans

Guest duncans

Hi everyone

Just curious, seen quite a few posts moaning about the 40 degree heat in the summer,(although most say it only lasts a couple of weeks) would anyone really choose the 11 months of grey gloom over this stifling summer. And is the summer really that bad?

Guest Wersal Gummage

You can keep the y-UK Buddy, I wouldn't swap what we have here for quids.

Summers are fantastic, it makes people smile.

Dont worry about it, if you're not ginger You'll Love it.;)

Summers arent bad. Needs to be mid 30s to be nice and to get warm evenings:). The odd 40 day is ok , with aircon in the house.Wear the right clothes, keep out the sun, youll be right;)

Guest the4hopes

The summer was fantastic, when they predicted the first 40 degree day I couldn't wait to feel it. It was lovely to feel the heat, our air con went wrong on the first day and was never fixed, but we made a trip to Bunnings and bought 3 fans, and managed on these! It feels like we are in summer now, its so warm bright, and a beautiful blue sky.

Laura

Guest ReadyPenny

Not experienced the 40s yet as we arrived in Autumn, top temperature was 34. Now, I don't like the heat, but I was walking around in jeans and a top here!! It's a different kind of heat ( I hate that phrase!) and it is MUCH more bearable, if you are not a heat kinda person like me. Usually we holiday in Greece and I am grouchy because of the heat etc, but not here. The weather is great, will let you know how I get on in the 40s when it happens, heaven help me, if I can manage it - anyone can!

Mandy

Guest Brummie

Adelaide's heat is a dry heat, so it's not so bad, and everywhere is air-conditioned. It's only when we have a heat wave of continious days over 30C+ that you start to feel the heat. But there is always pools or the beach to cool down in the evenings. Most meals are cooked and eaten outside in the summer, so no ovens going inside to heat the house up. But you must remember that temps are taken in the shade here so when it's 40C it's about 60C in the sun. A good pair of sunglasses and hats are a must here plus sunscreen. I love the summers here, when the sun is out you always feel happier.

Guest Nicky&Andy

when we were on our recci the temp did reach the fourty mark, while there we were asked how we coped with the heat. to be honest we didnt notice, we sat on the beach , in and out the sea, the breeze was lovely ,we were in a holiday park, a type of mobil home, so not as cool as a proper house, but it was lovely to sleep with just a sheet instead of a quilt & blanket. we wernt working though , its a different heat in the uk , this week we have had severe heavey rain for a hole week , then the sun came out and its really muggy and uncomfortable, forcast more rain for monday:arghh:

Guest Jo&Phil

Us Poms love the heat - well some of us - it's the Aussies that complain about it.

We did have over a month, or thereabouts, of temperatures over 35 deg C ...but that was unusual. Generally it sits between 28-34 in the summer which is lovely! You really can plan a BBQ and be sure it will be sunny, as opposed to in the UK when youp plan a BBQ and can practically guarantee it will rain!

When you arrrive and particularly in rentals .... Air conditioning is really necessary though in at least one room --- or very good ceiling fans in bedrooms.

Guest cornish Busdriver

I arrived here last november so was here when it reached 47.

I was loving it. As long as you got good aircon dont worry but then again a lot of electric power supply thingys were blowing up so some people didnt have electric to power there aircon for a few days plus the trains were out of action when the lines warped to hell.

The only thing that got me was when i went to go night fishing at midnight the beach was full coz people were sleeping and spending the night enjoying the cool sea breazes.

Oh and if you catch a bus, look on the front to make sure its number is not 1641 as it has no aircon.

I had to drive it for 2hrs and it was 62 inside and i crashed it.

Guest kangomik

think what type of job you have. The traddies go home once it hits 36. If you have to work outside you will need to cover up and take lots of water, i mean lots.

If you work in an aircon contolled place you will be right.

Hi,

Our rental only has air con in the main living/dining area,but the property is new and clinical.We too out a 12 month lease not having experienced an OZ summer.BIG MISTAKE.We are moving out next month,as we couldn't bear the intense heat in the rest of the house house,fans and evap cooling units we bought do not do jack s..t to alleviate the heat.It,s great outdoors of course,with the beaches and sea etc.To any newbies looking for rentals i would advise that they look at making sure the property has all round air con,very,very important,(and heating if possible),and shaded outdoor area,most do,but not all.ATB.

Guest Allybinoz42

It depends how long you have been here, two summers ago we had 14 days above 37 degrees, it was like being on the surface of the sun. I must have turned into a Aussie after 7 years, as the first few years I thought the heat was great now I don't!!

Entertaining little kids in that heat is not much fun either.

Guest nickyblue

I loved the heat! Wouldn't swap for anything! The only thing I have found is that it has made the winter worse because I know how beautiful the summer will be! Roll on 30+ weather!

Guest rachinadelaide
You can keep the y-UK Buddy, I wouldn't swap what we have here for quids.

Summers are fantastic, it makes people smile.

Dont worry about it, if you're not ginger You'll Love it.;)

I'm ginger and love it anyway!!! Bugger off ginga-phobes!(Although I do need to stay out of the sun, slap on sun screen and have a plentiful supply of calomine lotion for the aftermath...:realmad:)

Summer is great - 47 degrees last year was a bit warm but it doesn't last for long.

Just make sure any house you buy or rent has decent air con.. The first house we rented had one, 30 year-old air con unit to cool an entire open-plan house. It doesn't work! We ended up sleeping in the living room thru the hottest 2 weeks of the year just to keep a couple of degrees cooler! Now we have a house with a much better unit. Although, one of the places I work has no air con and we have to close the office on 35+ days in the summer. I think that's pretty unusual though. I work for a charity and we have no money. Most places in Adelaide have air con.

'Rach