Anyone in Aus voting in the UK election?

Jessica Berry

Guest Mrs PHH

I hadn't even though of that! Thanks for the link - I'll think about it now!

Should I or shouldn't I... I don't know????

I could ask my my best mate back in the UK and ask her if she want's my vote!! Afterall she has to deal with the UK politians at the mo not me!

Guest Messua

You may think I'm dreadful, but in all seriousness, it has never occurred to me to to vote in the British elections since we settled here! I believe we are entitled to a postal vote, but as it isn't mandatory and has no affect on our life here, we've never bothered. :nah:

You may think I'm dreadful, but in all seriousness, it has never occurred to me to to vote in the British elections since we settled here! I believe we are entitled to a postal vote, but as it isn't mandatory and has no affect on our life here, we've never bothered. :nah:

To be honest I had not thought about it until recently when I happened to spot an advert on a website saying we still had the right to vote even if we lived abroad.

My reasons for considering voting are mainly to do with state pension issues and entitlements and there has been 'talk' about this issue for a while now about how it will affect people living abroad. Some pensioners have even gone to court about it.

Another reason, if for any reason you have to return to the UK (I certainly don't plan to but you never know what might happen later in life) you can vote about what might happen to the UK in the future and also vote for the benefit of your poor family and friends that are still living there and may not have the opportunity to leave like we did.

Guest steph&neil
DON'T GET ME STARTED......

Oh OK....

If you live here you shouldn't vote, why should you make decisions that don't affect you. You left the UK, so unless you think you will be back soon, let the people who it affects vote.

I do understand what you mean - to a point, we are here on a temp visa - as are lots of people so it is a very general think to say that we shouldnt vote because we are living here,

a good point was made re pensions etc, my OH was 44 when we came over & we still have money, family & the option to return - even when we do secure our PR next month. So I think that it should be optional as well as a personal decision - what I don't understand is how they can say that oz is a democratic country when it is compulsory to vote???? answer that and I will give you a gold star!!!

Steph

Guest Zako999

Oh OK....

If you live here you shouldn't vote, why should you make decisions that don't affect you. You left the UK, so unless you think you will be back soon, let the people who it affects vote.

Totally Agree!

Guest steph&neil

You say you have the option to return, but vote if you go back (my view), not now.

Hiya I didnt know that you could put nothing on the ballot paper? still a bit pointness if you ask me & not democratic as you still have to go! :confused:

my view is that if you have things that will be affected then you should vote (or not moan about it!!!), which is why we have the choice; - we still have money matters so Tax, VAT & pensions as well as capital gains so do affect us - but I agree if you have NO ties - ie no remaining family or fianaces, then no it would be pointless be a pointless exersize!

Oh OK....

With the boot on the other foot, its like living here and not being able to vote and having other people make decisions about matters that DO affect you....:daydreaming:

I aint going to vote, yUK in far too much of a mess for anyone to make any big changes in the near future....with the exception of friends and family i dnt have that much to do with yUK now really.....:)

HG

Guest steph&neil
With the boot on the other foot, its like living here and not being able to vote and having other people make decisions about matters that DO affect you....:daydreaming:

I aint going to vote, yUK in far too much of a mess for anyone to make any big changes in the near future....with the exception of friends and family i dnt have that much to do with yUK now really.....:)

HG

now that I agree with!! and really you said it better than I did! we know it wont change much but it does affect us! :notworthy: