Treating Wood for Shipping

Guest mossmac

Guest mossmac

Hi guys

We have a number of beautiful Wooden Cedar Chests. They have not been 'treated' in any way.

I know this can be an issue when shipping.

What should we do?

If treating is the solution how do we go about doing this?

John

Hi guys

We have a number of beautiful Wooden Cedar Chests. They have not been 'treated' in any way.

I know this can be an issue when shipping.

What should we do?

If treating is the solution how do we go about doing this?

John

Hi John,

Yes as far as we are led to believe from the shippers all wood needs to be treated. May have got the wrong end of the stick but have assumed all has to be treated

If the chests are untreated i would suggest a clear sealer that will not stain the wood but provide it with a seal to it. Plenty of products are on the market that dont stain or change the colour in any way.

Guest mossmac

Is fumigation a possibilty?

Our Cedar Chests have a fantastic resin aroma that lasts for years (inside) and we wouldn't want to use a sealant if we could avoid it. (Fussy aren't we!?)

John

Fumigation is an option but at a cost. I had 3 African masks that were untreated with signs of boaring from insects.

The option was pay $350 to have them fumigated or $50 to have them insinarated.

They didn't hold any sentimental value, so guess which one I chose! ;)

Judi x

Guest Lulujim

Hi, I was wondering the same thing. A lot of our furniture is wood, but bought from Next etc.. can I presume this has been treated?

Also with wicker baskets and hampers, are these a definite 'no' too?

I was hoping that the removals comapny would advise, but some we've contacted have been unsure.

Thanks so much for the help! :wacko:

Furniture bought from Next, M & S etc will have been treated, so no worries there. I had a couple of wooden chests of drawers from M&S and they were fine.

My understanding is, that only if it had evidence of boaring and was of a "craft" nature, it likely to be pounced upon.

If these items are not going to cost anymore to bring, then pack them in and see what customs say this end. As long as you declare it, they'll give you an option on what can be done with them.

Always be up front and honest about your contents, or they'll really be suspecious and end up going through your whole container.:huh:

Judi x