Wireless internet - no phone line

suzer

Guest stufi1997

We have both, phone and internet with no phone line, phone works perfectly....exactly the same as with plugged into the wall, internet is a bit slow to say the least but we are assured that will speed up when we get the new mast they are promising.....we're with optus for both Fiona

I'm not sure Adam actually has a wireless internet service, think they only do ADSL (i.e. you need a port through the phone exchange). Internode have a Wireless DSL system in rural areas, but it doesn't extend to Adelaide.

The two main wireless ISPs I know of are Optus and Virgin (who use the Optus 3G network). I use Virgin and find them to be good most of the time - their plan is cheaper than Optus. With both of these, you'll get a phone line as well - the phone plugs into the modem, so you don't use the phone points in your house. I think these packages are now restricted to 2Gb download per month (after that you are shaped to dial-up speed, you don't lose internet access). The Virgin one is $60 a month for the 2Gb download and all local and national calls are free (along with calls to Virgin mobiles). I was lucky and got mine when they still had the 4Gb download offer ;) You'd need to check that you can get coverage where you are - you can enter your postcode on their website I think.

Your other option would be to get a USB modem from 3 mobile - think they have some good offers - and then you just plug it into your PC. You don't need to have a 3 mobile for this. (You can actually get the USB modem through Virgin as well)

Hope this helps.

Kerry

Guest stufi1997

Sorry should've been more specific...we have wireless USB modem (not WiFi) and the phone box needs to plug into the electric outlet they are $29 per month each 1GB download (no speed shaping with optus) we reduced the download limit til they get the speed up....Soon hopefully!! $69 for 6GB, works quite well in central Adelaide when I had the laptop in there the other day. Fiona