Job prospects in SA....interesting articles this morning

lorluc

I've been reading a few threads on here recently where people are asking about career opportunities, job prospects etc. Any prospective immigrants would be strongly advised to read these articles in the press this morning. I think it adds to what others have been saying and the general feeling that things are not particularly good here at the moment. I mentioned in another thread earlier this week that my daughter recently applied and fortunately got a job with over 200 applicants...just a normal office job...

Got to admit if i was considering leaving the UK now and was leaving behind a steady job with a steady income, i would seriously be thinking twice about the move.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/unemployment-rate-in-south-australia-hits-highest-level-since-2001-experts-warn-it-will-worsen/story-fni6uo1m-1226880480776

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/business-sa-chief-executive-nigel-mcbride-fears-south-australia-will-become-basket-as-fourth-awd-put-off-table/story-fni6uo1m-1226880485235

I'm halfheartedly looking around at the moment now we're all settled and one of the part time admin assistant jobs I read an advert for was asking for a cert III in admin & a minimum of 2 years experience. Not office manager or anything more than a glorified telephone answer-er; it's why I'm only halfheartedly looking.

I'm halfheartedly looking around at the moment now we're all settled and one of the part time admin assistant jobs I read an advert for was asking for a cert III in admin & a minimum of 2 years experience. Not office manager or anything more than a glorified telephone answer-er; it's why I'm only halfheartedly looking.

I've been here over 8 years now and work in admin. Yes i'm afraid you will find that even the part time jobs want the earth at times! They often want you to be capable of everything admin including accounts etc...I found this when i came over so i went to adult education and learned MYOB (an accounting software used widely over here). Whilst doing the course i worked for agencies as a temp doing basic office work... Finally I secured a wonderful part-time position, (which i wouldnt have got without MYOB), for 15 hours a week. Over 6 years, i slowly increased my hours as my kids grew older and now I am full-time and have progressed to Office Manager. I am also studying Cert IV in small business management.

Got to be prepared to start at the bottom...learn new skills and work your way up.

I was just using the position to highlight the fact that employers definitely have the choice.

As for me; I'm not against starting at the bottom, it's just deciding the bottom of which pile I want to be at... I was a childminder in the UK, a job which I enjoyed but didn't think it was my career and I thought that coming here would allow me to finally decide what I wanted to do with the rest of my life - I could completely reinvent myself since I didn't have any qualifications that would be recognised here. It's just now I'm here I'm still not sure what it is I want to do with the rest of my life other than sit around watching the sea, drinking coffee and eating cake:wink:

You'd think at 40 I'd have some idea of how I was going to change the world...

Guest Abyss

Would you say that this is also the case for IT professionals as a quick look about and there seems plenty of jobs about in this sector? though a very broad subject...