Which school???

Guest Kiki

Hi Guys

Any input from people with kids a any of the following schools would be appreciated. We have decided to look at these 4 when we visit in March.

Maclaren Vale

All Saints in Seaford

Moana Primary

Is Seaford and Seaford K7 the same school.

just really want your experiences of these schools good or bad. Just like everyone one else I want Max to settle well. He isnt a great mixer at first takes him a while to get warmed up. Doesnt do change well is a better description.:daydreaming:

I :arghh:also have a little girl Millie :realmad:who will be 4 when we eventually arrive for good. What will be instore for her.

Any advice really appreciated.

Kimberley x

Hi Guys

Any input from people with kids a any of the following schools would be appreciated. We have decided to look at these 4 when we visit in March.

Maclaren Vale

All Saints in Seaford

Moana Primary

Is Seaford and Seaford K7 the same school.

just really want your experiences of these schools good or bad. Just like everyone one else I want Max to settle well. He isnt a great mixer at first takes him a while to get warmed up. Doesnt do change well is a better description.:daydreaming:

I :arghh:also have a little girl Millie :realmad:who will be 4 when we eventually arrive for good. What will be instore for her.

Any advice really appreciated.

Kimberley x

My children attend All Saints in Seaford. Its a catholic school & fees are paid accordingly. I have no regrets enrolling them there, they are both very happy & I am very happy with the way that the school is run.

I never viewed McClaren Vale but my friends daughter goes there & she loves it, she is 7 years old.

I never viewed Moana, this is quite close to the beach as is Seaford K - 7. There is also Seaford Rise which is a primary school.

You will get the right feeling when you arrive & start looking at the schools. Its hard work but worth it all in the end.

I have no regrets.

Good luck

Angela

Guest louiesmum
My children attend All Saints in Seaford. Its a catholic school & fees are paid accordingly. I have no regrets enrolling them there, they are both very happy & I am very happy with the way that the school is run.

Hi

I am very interested in this post also as I have a son who is 6 & another who is 3. whats in store for 3 year old as I know they start school later in Australia.

Also I note Angela your children go to a catholic school , do you have to be catholic to attend? Or is that like UK where they accept a % of non catholic children

I can only speak for All Saints but a there are a % of non catholics in this school. The best thing is to have a good look around the school of your choice, take the children & ask as many questions as you feel necessary to satisfy yourselves..........its the only way, don't forget primary schools are not zoned so you can usually get them into any (unless its private with a waiting list of course).

Good luck

Angela

As Angela said there is Seaford K-7 and Seaford Rise, they are often confused but one is in seaford rise and the other is in port noarlunga south (next to seaford) Again as Angela said you will get a good feel for what is right for you. We weren't happy with the first choice that we made so moved our daughter I should have listened to my inner voice I was unsure on my first choice but it was the closest and the kids could walk and went with it. In hind sight I wish I had decided to drive rather than walk and make a mistake:sad:.

If you want any more info I am happy to pm you but you always offend when you put info on here about subjects like schools:arghh:. I live locally and have been in all these schools as either a parent or in a professional role, I also know people who have children in most of these schools.

What ever decision you make listen carefully to others and then make your OWN decision do not let new friends influence you, you need to do what is right for you and your family and what is right for them may not be right for you:v_SPIN:.

My son attends one of the schools mentioned and initially although it felt right I am beginning to have some concerns - my fear at the moment is do I want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire, 'is it just change from the Uk to Oz system and will any other public school that we look at be the same? I am not a teacher so are my concerns may well be non justifiable. We have contacted Mclaren Vale and have been given the opportunity to have a look down there and private could be an option. Decisions, decisions - it is hard and as my mum says it'll all come out in the wash - I will keep you posted - any thoughts apprecaiated ;)

Lindsey

Guest taylor family

Hi kim you have listed some schools on your post but it all depends on where you choose to live.

And tell your better half to bring all his paper work for plumbing so he can go to ocba and also an up to date cv as our company has just landed 300 new houses so will need a few new plumbers all the best Al.

Guest guest569

Having read your post saying that you have just bought a house in Aldinga you haven't mentioned their local schools. My wife is a teacher and says that the local public school has a very poor reputation, but that she has been talking to a lot of people recently who reckon that Galilee catholic school is very up and coming. She said that at a meeting this week it was mentioned by people very high up in DECS (dept of education and childcare) as being very good

hope this helps :jiggy:

Hi PP

Didnt know about Galilee but will look it up. Thanks for everyone who responded this post was a slow burner but we got there in the end. Do I just make an appointment when we arrive for our visit or do you suggest calling from the UK and do it that way.

Thanks in advance for any advice. What about Moana Primary or nurserys any updates on that part of the post.

Kimberley

Guest happy-jools

Hi Kimberley

We had some info e-mailed through from Galilee school, and it looks nice Very new. Good thing, they have room in Reception for Molly. Bad news, waiting lists for every other year. Grrrr.

Hope to see you soon. Julia

Guest helena bishop

hi kikki

hope your trip in march goes well we are also visiting au in march but wont be in adelaide until april. We also are hoping to move to adelaide in next 12 months and our daughter will also be four so any information on what is in store for the pre-schooler that you manage to find would be greatly recieved.Have a good trip thanks

Helena and

Guest Welshy
Hi PP

Didnt know about Galilee but will look it up. Thanks for everyone who responded this post was a slow burner but we got there in the end. Do I just make an appointment when we arrive for our visit or do you suggest calling from the UK and do it that way.

Thanks in advance for any advice. What about Moana Primary or nurserys any updates on that part of the post.

Kimberley

Hi Kimberley

I had a tour round Moana primary last year as it has a very good reputation. The school seemed ok, but the headmaster was leaving at the end of the year so I was reluctant to send my kids (7 and 5) there as the general way of things out here seems to be that schools can change from being great to bad and vice versa depending on the head teacher.

Likewise I had heard that Seaford K-7 used to have a reputation that was not so great but know people whose kids go there and they are really happy with it.

Its such a confusing issue and a massive one - the kids have so much change that chosing the right school for you and your kids is something only you can decide on. Take your time when you arrive -we made the mistake of getting the kids straight into school to help them make friends quickly and settle, however the choice of school was not right for them.

Three yr old start kindergarten(kindy) the term before they start full time kindy. Children start school the term after they turn 5( or midterm if the school does it). The kindergartens are funded for 4 terms of 4 sessions(4 X 1/2 day, 2X full day, or a mix) so your child starts kindy 4 terms before the term they start school. If your child turns 5 oct-Jan they start in term 1, January. if 5 between Jan and April, they start term 2, If 5 between June - Aug, start term 3, then the rest start term 4. However if they start in terms 3 or 4 they stay in reception for the following yr aswell. The term before they start kindy they go 1 session a week for that term. Some kindys have playgroups for younger children, but they have to be accompanied. There are private montessori kindergartens that begin at 3. Some private schools also have kindys that start at 3, but of course these are not free. Actually no education is free here, there is a materials cost involved at all levels.

Rachel