both (onshore) parents refused non-contributory visa last week!

Guest annieharvey

Guest annieharvey

I'll try and keep this short. parents applied for non-contrib aged parent visa 5 years ago and finally had medicals 15months ago. if they pass they are then 'queued' in waiting list which is still 10 years. they are currently 82 and 84 and I'm an only child and both my husband and are now citizen. last week we were informed that mum doesn't meet health requirements and there is a deferred decision on dad. mum was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer within months of arriving here however she's a bit of a miracle to Flinders as her tumor has not progressed in 5 years and she has no treatment. in the medicals last year they found that dad has a leaking valve in his heart but doc wrote that surgery not required. we have been given 90 days to prove that there is no cancer or heart diaease so are in the middle of about 9 appointments with docs and surgeons. extremely stressful for all of us! if still refused then they can apply for a 'medical treatment visa long stay' but have to reapply every 12 months and presumably have treatment (unless anyone knows to the contrary?). at this stage we believe our less stressful option (really?) might be to all move back to Uk which means I have to sell a 1yr old successful business tutoring children and leave our dream behind, and all my husband's family. if anyone can shed light on any more options it would be extremely helpful, many thanks in advance, Annie

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened.

I think your best course of action right now would be to speak to a migration agent. I hear good things about Alan Collett over there in Aus. Go Matilda is the website

http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/index.cfm

There are other agents also of course, but his name sprang to mind as someone to call for a free consult.

Guest cchristine
I'll try and keep this short. parents applied for non-contrib aged parent visa 5 years ago and finally had medicals 15months ago. if they pass they are then 'queued' in waiting list which is still 10 years. they are currently 82 and 84 and I'm an only child and both my husband and are now citizen. last week we were informed that mum doesn't meet health requirements and there is a deferred decision on dad. mum was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer within months of arriving here however she's a bit of a miracle to Flinders as her tumor has not progressed in 5 years and she has no treatment. in the medicals last year they found that dad has a leaking valve in his heart but doc wrote that surgery not required. we have been given 90 days to prove that there is no cancer or heart diaease so are in the middle of about 9 appointments with docs and surgeons. extremely stressful for all of us! if still refused then they can apply for a 'medical treatment visa long stay' but have to reapply every 12 months and presumably have treatment (unless anyone knows to the contrary?). at this stage we believe our less stressful option (really?) might be to all move back to Uk which means I have to sell a 1yr old successful business tutoring children and leave our dream behind, and all my husband's family. if anyone can shed light on any more options it would be extremely helpful, many thanks in advance, Annie

It is not necessary to have "treatment" while holding a "long stay medical treatment visa". These visas are issued to parents who cannot be granted the original parent visa they applied for due to health problems. They are looked at on a case by case basis. Some for 1yr, some for longer. Read the DIAC info on visa subclass 685.

My elderly diabetic mother was issued this visa by ministerial intervention, but I know other people have applied direct to DIAC.

If I was you, I would keep my parents ONSHORE at all costs. If they go back to the UK, it might be tricky to get them back into Oz.

Best of luck

Chris

Have you taken professional advice about seeking a review of the decision?