Help needed with rental process!!

siem&noah

We have been here 5 weeks now and are due to move out of our holiday let on 14th December so need to start looking for a rental property. We have seen a couple that we like but we are unsure on how the process works. If we put in an application and it gets accepted by the landlord, are we legally bound to that property or can we pull out if we find somethig else. Also we have heard about 'Lease Beaking' and were wondering what this means?

Any help is very much appreciated!!:cute:

Hi

As far as I am aware you are not legally bound at any point up until you sign the lease itself.

If you break a lease you are ending your tenancy before the agreed end date, if you do this then you will be liable for rent until the property is re let and you may have to pay advertising costs in order to find a new tenant.

Guest jones1541
We have been here 5 weeks now and are due to move out of our holiday let on 14th December so need to start looking for a rental property. We have seen a couple that we like but we are unsure on how the process works. If we put in an application and it gets accepted by the landlord, are we legally bound to that property or can we pull out if we find somethig else. Also we have heard about 'Lease Beaking' and were wondering what this means?

Any help is very much appreciated!!:cute:

Hi, sorry to hijack your post....can i just ask what short term rental you used, were comming out Feb and need to find a fully furnished for about 4 weeks. Good luck with the long term rental :)

Hi

As far as I am aware you are not legally bound at any point up until you sign the lease itself.

If you break a lease you are ending your tenancy before the agreed end date, if you do this then you will be liable for rent until the property is re let and you may have to pay advertising costs in order to find a new tenant.

No this isn't correct. Most applications state that you are legally bound to accept the lease if you sign the application. So strictly speaking you could be held to the financial side of things if you pull out. Read the small print. I am not sure if it has been "tested" (ie in court) but I wouldn't be the one risking it. Many people will tell you not to bother, and that they made lots of applications for rental, but they aren't going to come bailing us out are they??!! I had lots of people telling me when we were cutting it close by doing one application at a time but they were wrong. I am a lawyer myself and I read the words and I am not taking a chance on it. The lawyer in me doesn't like that clause, and I don't think they could get away with it in Europe. I think it is an unfair contract term and very one sided. BUt renting is a very one sided process.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest garthsmydog

Hiya , As a landlord its more about if someone says they will rent your place for a period of time they will , becuase chances are other people will be turned away because you have said you will take it on for whatever period of time you have signed up for. Having said that if you rent privately ( ie not through an agent ) and you get a decent landlord they may be flexable around the length of the lease. We have always been and for example we knew that our tennants wanted to go off travelling at the end of Oct this year so we wrote the lease to finish the week before they went away so they didnt have any hassle about breaking the lease.It meant it was a 7 1/2 month lease ... most leases are 6 or 12 months as standard though ( other than short termers that you see on here). You also need to have two weeks rent in advance and a bond of four weeks rent ( which is lodged with a tribunal by the landlord so nothing dodgy can happen to your money ) you get this back at the end of the lease if you leave it in the condition you found it in - ie when you moved in , hopefully/generally that means carpets shampooed , oven and windows cleaned and cupboards wiped out etc. If not it is used to cover the cost of getting it back to that condition and also for any unpaid rent that may be owing. So its kind of the insurance policy... Its alot of money up front but when you do move out and get it back again its nice!!!

To be honest to find good tennants who will look after your place and pay the rent on time is worth their weight in gold!

Hope this helps from the other side of the fence ( so to speak!)

good luck with it all

Wendy :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ramesh Arumugam

Dear Jones

Like to join with you as we are in the same boat.

I dont know if this message is going to reach you as a private message. In any case i would like to add you in my network of new friend's list - if you dont mind.

I am 37 coming to Adelaide February / March with my family.

Good luck. ----Ramesh