OAA you couldnae write this

Guest rockpool crab

Guest rockpool crab

Hiya,

We were told today that we'll get the "meet and greet" service and the OAA. Only told this today and we fly out on 21st December. I've now made plans till up to 9th February and all paid for.

As far as I'm aware you can have the OAA for 3 months...I'm wondering if maybe I could take it up but not immediately ..from 9th Feb. till 23rd March...has anyone done this?

I don't even know where the accommodation is, apparently they'll tell me that within 7 - 10 days..jeezo...flying by the seat of my pants if I'd hung about waiting on the OAA eh.

hope you can help with my decision to write to them about the remainder of the time..but I've got a sneaky feeling might have to take the whole three months eh.

TTFN

Carol Ann

Guest Libby1971

This is standard practice when applying for OAA. The question always is do you hold your nerve adn wait to hear of you have OAA or do you go ahead and book something?

I would leave the OAA altogether. We took the OAA but it was not the best decision I have ever made. Other people have had better experiences with their accommodation but all I can say is that I did not spend 2 days on a plane for that.

The deal with OAA is that you have it for the first 12 weeks you are in Oz. So I don't think you can have it afterwards.

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Carol Ann

Can't help with your question but just wanted to say good luck and I admire your bravery! Flying out so close to Christmas must be nerve racking.

Hope it all goes well, no doubt see you on the sunny side in February

Take Care

Mandy

Guest rockpool crab
This is standard practice when applying for OAA. The question always is do you hold your nerve adn wait to hear of you have OAA or do you go ahead and book something?

I would leave the OAA altogether. We took the OAA but it was not the best decision I have ever made. Other people have had better experiences with their accommodation but all I can say is that I did not spend 2 days on a plane for that.

The deal with OAA is that you have it for the first 12 weeks you are in Oz. So I don't think you can have it afterwards.

Hiya...thanks for the reply...I thought as much really. I'll just cancel the accommodation part then but I still try and keep the meet and greet. They actually said in their initial documentation not to rely on them and to have a back up plan ..but unfortunately back up plans cost money (deposits etc). But based on your experience I guess we're doing the right thing..I know both places I'm going to look great and it'll be a lovely start to it all :wubclub:

Can't waaaaaaaait to get there now...and last day at work tomorrow.....sniff..that will be sad :(

Carol Ann

Guest rockpool crab
Hi Carol Ann

Can't help with your question but just wanted to say good luck and I admire your bravery! Flying out so close to Christmas must be nerve racking.

Hope it all goes well, no doubt see you on the sunny side in February

Take Care

Mandy

Hiya..thanks for your kind wishes. I hope it's not all shut when we get there..lol..but usually most places shut xmas eve night eh..so we'll run out and do a bit of shopping. I guess it will be manic but lifes a bit manic just now anyways so what's the difference I say. I'll actually be in Hong Kong for my birthday so we finally plumped for the 5 hour travellers lounge as a wee birthday splurge!

Yup..hopefully see you on the sunny side in February right enough ..happy days!

Carol Ann

Guest sarahsmartiepants

That is close to christmas, good luck. You wont regret turning down the OAA, only a small handfull of people I have met have been happy with theirs!

Guest rockpool crab
I can't think of anything more depressing than arriving at Christmas and having to spend it in OAA! Stick to your plans :v_SPIN:

PHEW...thanks for this...really feel like we've made the right choice now :D

The first apartment is at the top of Rundle Mall..so right in the heart of city. Second "house" is Tykes :D Looks fab and the lap of luxury! Let the good times roll (sure you have to think positive and stuff worrying about what might happen..that's my motto).

Carol Ann

Guest Martin and Val

This will throw a spanner in the works. We had OAA and cant fault it! A nice 3 bed bungalow in Golden Grove which was much better than a hell of a lot of rentals we viewed. In our opinion except it as you may well find it not that easy to get a rental that you like. It's cheap rent while you look for what you really want.

I agree it may well depend on where the OAA is situated. We were in a nice area with a nice house and nice neighbors.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

(Swampo) visited ours on many occasions and we are certain they will agree with us.

Good luck on what ever you decide and good luck with the move so close to Christmas.

Martin

Guest Martin and Val

Just another thought,

Why not except it and if its no good when you get here then give your two weeks notice there and then? Probably cost you about $500 but thats it. Once you get the address get somebody local to it from PIA to take a look for you. We will be more than willing if its in our neck of the woods. If its a negative response turn it down then.

Guest rockpool crab
Just another thought,

Why not except it and if its no good when you get here then give your two weeks notice there and then? Probably cost you about $500 but thats it. Once you get the address get somebody local to it from PIA to take a look for you. We will be more than willing if its in our neck of the woods. If its a negative response turn it down then.

Hiya

That's heartening to hear you had a good experience. I'm afraid I wrote yesterday though and cancelled it :-( So guess it's a done deal now. Ach well..what's for you won't go by you and all that... :-)

TTFN

Carol Ann

Guest rockpool crab
Hi Carole Ann,

if you get stuck for stuff, just give us a pm, i will let you have my number etc. We can get you some shopping and stuff, and if you really want we could maybe provide you with a meal for xmas evening?

Good luck with the move, happy landings

Jane

omg...I could greet..I really could! I'm in such an emotional place right now and all the offers of help we get so overwhelm me..it's just magic.

You may regret your kind "pm" offer though..lol. Ach we'll try to be self sufficient and see if can make it before hollering for folk. All part of the big adventure eh.

Now a job would be nice..mmmmmmmmmm ;)

Cheers...Carol Ann

Guest Guest75
omg...I could greet..I really could! I'm in such an emotional place right now and all the offers of help we get so overwhelm me..it's just magic.

You may regret your kind "pm" offer though..lol. Ach we'll try to be self sufficient and see if can make it before hollering for folk. All part of the big adventure eh.

Now a job would be nice..mmmmmmmmmm ;)

Cheers...Carol Ann

Deffo have the Meet & Greeters

It might even be Dennis & Rene who I've met a few times - lovely older couple.

Another Meeter might actually be a freind of ours and a Pom who has lived here for 3 years.;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alan smallman

Hi all

Haven't been on for a month or so now. Just browsing around looking forward to another cxxp night at work (only swore at and punched last night - by 2 separate patients so ............................really looking forward to going in tonight!!). Hence coming on here to cheer me up! Anyway, what's OAA when it's at home? don't want to miss out on anything!!

Cheers :biggrinxmas:

Alan

Guest Guest75
Hi all

Haven't been on for a month or so now. Just browsing around looking forward to another cxxp night at work (only swore at and punched last night - by 2 separate patients so ............................really looking forward to going in tonight!!). Hence coming on here to cheer me up! Anyway, what's OAA when it's at home? don't want to miss out on anything!!

Cheers :biggrinxmas:

Alan

Hi Alan

On Arrival Accommodation. :emoticon-signxmas: