Starting postgrad degree in Adelaide next month, want to meet some people!

Guest enhughesiasm

Guest enhughesiasm

Hi!

So, in the last few weeks I've made the life-changing decision to suddenly move to Adelaide and do a second degree, completely changing my career direction at the tender/over-the-hill age of 31.

I know a couple of people in Adelaide already, but my social circle is suddenly going to be very small, and I'd love to meet up with a few of you fine folks sometime later in February once I've arrived, thought I'd get the ball rolling here. Am currently feeling pretty nervous and I think making a few new friends would help me get over that hump of 'oh god this is actually real'.

A few things I like:

Pubs, conversations, comedy, theatre, barbecues, parties, films, board games, sports, friendly people, coffee, vanquishing enemies

If any of that sounds good, and you'd be up for meeting a new guy and showing me some cool places in a new city then I'd be very grateful and excited to meet you! Or if you have any suggestions of things I could get involved in (am already randomly signed up to a dancing class when I get here as that's another of my 'things for 2014' - but any other ideas welcome too) I'd love to hear them.

Yours nervousexcitedly,

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Reading your interests, I can point you in the direction of a couple of things that might interest you....

http://www.adelaidecomedy.com/ Join up, and head down to the Rhino Rooms in the city any time you fancy a good laugh: established and up-and-coming comedians both appear there, great night out, won't break the bank, friendly people

http://www.thehungryhippo.com/ - Been meaning to try this myself for ages - board games and maybe a bit of enemy vanquishing - go for it, and let us know what you think!

Coffee is great in Adelaide,m I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Oh and register at http://www.weekendnotes.com for Adelaide to keep up with what's happening in and around the city.

Which University are you going to be at?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest enhughesiasm

Sorry for the slow reply, this all sounds great! Have had a hectic few weeks sorting everything out.

I'm going to be at the University of Adelaide. Will definitely have to check out the hungry hippo thing if I manage to meet a few people into that sort of night, it looks pretty fun.

Getting very excited about all of this now, roll on the end of the month!

Hi 'NervouslyExcited',

My friend Jen and I are both in the 'tender' 30's age group and are up for meeting new people - we actually became friends through this website ourselves!

We'd happy to catch up for a drink/ food and show you some sites.

Give us a shout if you're interested - that also goes for anyone else reading this - the more the merrier!

Karen