Stopover recommendations please

Diane

I need some help! (Well, a lot really, but that's another story...)

We have to go back to the UK in July - can only spare 3 weeks but really don't want to come straight back without at least having a look around the place we touch down en route. Airline choice is really Malaysian (KL), Cathay (HK) or Singapore Air (Singapore).

I know Singapore seems to have a lot to do in, say 48 hours, but what about Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur?

Is it worth paying a little bit more for an airline that touches down in Singapore as opposed to one of the others?

Has anyone stopped for a night or two in any of the three above places, and have any suggestions of things "not to be missed", places to stay, eat, etc (we have two teenagers - 14 and 16, so almost human - sometimes - but still big kids at heart!)?

Think that's it for the moment - any help or advice gratefully received before I head to the Travel Agent.

we did 2 nights in singapore and we loved it.we went on the singapore flyer{singapores version of the london eye but much less expensive**we also did a river cruise and dined in the resteraunts by the river.singapore airlines do fantastic deals on their singapore stop over holidays with about 8 trips thrown in,free tea and toast at a local cafe and 50% of food in your hotel.we stayed at the peninsular excelsior hotel.if you want i could email you some pics

sharon+mick

We too stayed in Singapore, which we've done a few times now. As Sharon said the Singopore stopovers are worth looking at, especially the tours and discounts. Plenty to do there, and see.

Guest Guest5035

Hotel KLIA Hotel | Pan Pacific Kuala Lumpur Airport Hotel | Kuala Lumpur 5 Star

We used the above hotel at KL airport en route to Thailand last year, superb hotel awesome. We then went next door into the terminal hopped on the train into KL ( so easy to get around ), visited the Twin Towers there, but missed out on the free tickets for the Tower tour, great shopping centre next door. Our 16 year old at the time loved it.

stevo

Hi

We went to Hong kong and absolutely loved it. Stayed 3 nights but could easily have filled a week!

Went to Disneyland HK (our kids are only 2 & 4) plenty for the older children!

Cheap, friendly and beautiful.

Lisa

I have had stopovers in all 3 cities and thoroughly enjoyed them all. (HK once, KL twice, Singapore 5 times!).

All have good shopping, fantastic airports, temples, skyscrapers, lovely food, good standard hotels and a real buzz. I would recommend having a stopover on the way to the UK rather than on the way back, because then you are not jetlagged and can enjoy it more. The best thing is to then catch a morning flight out of your stopover destination (say 10am) then you get a daytime flight all the way to the UK, arriving early evening UK time - much better than a night flight arriving at Heathrow at 6 in the morning.

Hong Kong is very beautiful, the view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon is amazing, HK Island away from the city is suprisingly scenic with beautiful bays and beaches. The new airport is quite a long way from the centre and when we looked into flying via HK a few years ago the airport transfers were very expensive - worth checking. The markets in Kowloon are interesting, Victoria Peak - there's heaps to do.

Kuala Lumpur has some nice hotels, amazing shopping malls (we stayed near the technology mall and it was full of all the latest electrical gadgets, TVs, computers, mobile phones - fascinating). The twin towers are worth a visit but the viewing platform is only half way up - you go higher if you go up the KL tower instead, and there are no queues there. The new airport is a long way out so the transfer takes at least an hour. However everything is run very efficiently and the people are incredibly friendly and polite.

Singapore is the ultimate in efficiency, convenience and service, and feels more 'western' than Kuala Lumpur. The airport is close to the city. As others have said, you get some good deals with Singapore Airlines, with a courtesy minibus and transfers and free entry into lots of attractions. Orchard Road is great for shopping and never seems to shut, Suntec City Mall is worth a visit, the orchid gardens are lovely. Everything in Singapore is so shiny and clean - some complain it is too sanitised, but it's an amazing place. We went to Singapore so many times because travelling with small children we found it was the easiest.

Wherever you go I'm sure you will have a great time.

Thanks everyone, that's a real help. Unfortunately, stopping on the way out isn't really an option because of school holiday dates - or we'd miss the wedding we're going there for! Only arriving about a day before it as it is (boy, we're going to be so popular, sleeping through the reception!!)

I'll definitely look into deals offered by the airlines for discounts etc - hadn't thought of that!

Thanks again

Diane

Singapore wins hands down , was there 5 weeks ago or so place is immaculately clean , very nice food thats not expensive either,, also went with Singapore air & recieved all the stopover deals that they give you, and the flying part was very nice also 12 hours from LHR in the new A330 airbus ( upstairs ) which the kidz were amazed they had a large staircase onboard. Summed up Singapore all the time.

Hong Kong was really interesting. The street markets were great but my favourite thing was the Po Lin Monastery which is on Lantau Island. You can get there on the MTR and then there's a really fabulous cable car ride over the hills to the path up to the Monastery and the Buddha. It was amazing!

Giant Buddha / Po Lin Monastery / The Wisdom Path - Hong Kong Tourism Board