Looking for advice on Dubai Stay

AussieRob

On our way back from the UK in June, we spending a week in Dubai.

I have stayed there once before in the late 90's, at the Sheraton Mirage, it was fantastic, but quite far from anything, I think a good 45 mins by bus back to town.

We saw a special to stay at the Atlantis Resort (Top of Palm Island), but what else is there near there. I do like staying in Fancy hotels but don't appreciate that every drink and meal (when the hotel is isolated) can cost you a small fortune. Is there pubs / restaurants nearby reasonably priced, or is the Atlantis actually ok, with some fine dining and some normal grub.

or..... is there somewhere better to stay, a nice hotel but nearer a few holiday type outlets (like you find in Tenerife, ok maybe not with cornish pasties, Carling premier and showing only fools and horses, but hopefully you get the idea)

hey

we are doing the same thing in august and we are staying at the marriott marquis as it's right in the downtown Dubai area and near the mall and burj Khalifa. as you say the Atlantis is lovely but literally is completely on its own so not really any options to get out and walk around.

if ur not on a budget The Address Dubai is lovely and any of the Jumeriah properties I.e madinat Jumeriah or Jumeriah beach give you free access to wild wadi water park so that's good if u want that.

overall I prefer anything in the downtown area or along sheikh zayed road rather than Bur Dubai

if u have booked ur flights with emirates then there stopover packages that u can book through ur online manage my booking section on the website are a really good deal and inc transfers and some do 24 hour check in as I assume u r on the Dubai to adelaide flight that leaves at 0200 so u wud not need to leave ur room until 11pm ish

cheers

We stayed downtown too in the older part of town near the markets. Much more atmosphere but I know not everyone appreciates the local feel. I don't like sanitised places you could be anywhere in the world. We did stay in a very nice hotel though! But we got local canal taxis and transport to the sights and museums and malls. The malls are something else the women in black with designer shoes and bags, and the biggest diamonds I have seen in a shop window. Not being a regular in Gucci I did feel a bit out of place though!

We also did a desert safari which was well worth it.

We drove round the new strip on a trip out some amazing hotels in the middle of a building site really and to me soulless but I know people who love it.

Edited by Rammygirl

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Rob!....just a little thing to bear in mind.....we were in Dubai in 2000 and our hotel was actually out of the city and a bit far from things, we were there again in 03 and went past the hotel which with all the building was now in the centre of everything, if it is 15 years since you were there don't expect anything to be even nearly the same!:smile:

Guest Claire-n-tel
The malls are something else the women in black with designer shoes and bags.

Hi Rammygirl! We have a friend in Abu Dhabi (who is actually irish) she was showing us her burqas and explaining all different styles, apparently you wouldn't want to be seen out in last years style!

Guest Watkinsfamily

Hi, Things will have changed a lot since your last visit!! The Atlantis is not worth the money when we stayed we felt like a brit in a hotel in Benidorm not what we wanted. Any of the Rotana hotels are nice and most hotels do shuttle buses to the big malls and attractions. The hop on hop off tour bus is very good and worth the money if you are there for a short time and want to see a lot. As you will be there in their summer - Anything from March / April to late October you will not want to be walking around trust me! We lived in Abu Dhabi for 5 years and our main reason for moving was that our children could not go outside for most of the year. I like the Aarjan Rotana which does apartments great for families it is near the Walk / JBR and the marina but close enough to most attractions - taxis are SO cheap getting around is easy. Hope you have a good stay we are missing a few things from life there but not the weather. If you need any further info please ask. Look on www.booking.com for good deals and their ratings are quite accurate too.

hey

we are doing the same thing in august and we are staying at the marriott marquis as it's right in the downtown Dubai area and near the mall and burj Khalifa. as you say the Atlantis is lovely but literally is completely on its own so not really any options to get out and walk around.

if ur not on a budget The Address Dubai is lovely and any of the Jumeriah properties I.e madinat Jumeriah or Jumeriah beach give you free access to wild wadi water park so that's good if u want that.

overall I prefer anything in the downtown area or along sheikh zayed road rather than Bur Dubai

if u have booked ur flights with emirates then there stopover packages that u can book through ur online manage my booking section on the website are a really good deal and inc transfers and some do 24 hour check in as I assume u r on the Dubai to adelaide flight that leaves at 0200 so u wud not need to leave ur room until 11pm ish

cheers

We tried to do our best for the Aussie economy, and booked with Qantas, Ok actually they had the specials on when we booked, but still makes me feel a bit good inside, apart from we have to go through Melbourne. Flight times are ok though we leave Dubai at 11:10am.

Thanks for the tips, we'll certainly take a look at what you've recommended and others too.

I think for us, we wanted to try to balance a bit of relaxation after seeing family, so were looking for some kind of beach resort or just somewhere where we can chill (sweat) by the pool, plus see some sights in Dubai, but I do struggle with being tied to an isolated resort, it is nice just to have a few options near by. After all, sometimes it's nice for a fine meal as a treat, but other times I just may fancy egg, chips and beans, or a chip butty.... well anything with chips....

We tried to do our best for the Aussie economy, and booked with Qantas, Ok actually they had the specials on when we booked, but still makes me feel a bit good inside, apart from we have to go through Melbourne. Flight times are ok though we leave Dubai at 11:10am.

Thanks for the tips, we'll certainly take a look at what you've recommended and others too.

I think for us, we wanted to try to balance a bit of relaxation after seeing family, so were looking for some kind of beach resort or just somewhere where we can chill (sweat) by the pool, plus see some sights in Dubai, but I do struggle with being tied to an isolated resort, it is nice just to have a few options near by. After all, sometimes it's nice for a fine meal as a treat, but other times I just may fancy egg, chips and beans, or a chip butty.... well anything with chips....

hi just so you know Qantas do the Dubai stopovers as well it's called Dubai connect and you book it on the Qantas website

cheers and have a great time woteva u do :-)