uluru-alice springs

DAVID.CHRISTINE

Guest Bodie

Hi. Have a look at the RAA website. We were thinking of going in October so have already had a look. They say it's about 19 hours but I guess that is straight driving. They also have a list of towns and what type of petrol they sell along the way. Good luck. Enjoy your trip,

Tracey

Guest SA Great

Done the trip twice! First time we drove from Adelaide and stayed in a cave overnight in Coober Pedy....brilliant! Took 16 hours driving time to get to Alice. Alice to Ayers Rock is 4.5 hours. Kings Canyon is fantastic. Petrol is expensive (obviously as its in the middle of the desert) but still cheaper than England!! There is petrol at all the main places but just make sure you fill up when you can, don't think I won't bother here I will get some down the road instead because there won't be any!!! We put the car on the Ghan on the way back and caught the train. Great holiday, you will love it. Tip.....heaps of flies so you will need a hat with a net over the face, you can get these from places like Snowys Outdoors or any camping type shop. You may not believe this next bit but its absolutely true. If an aboriginal is in the road and you hit them then DO NOT STOP but drive to the next police station and report the incident. They sometimes set traps and if you stop there will be a few hiding in the bush. This is recommended by the police as well!!! You will love it, its a great part of Australia....hope this helps.

Guest panther

Having done the trip Adelaide to Alice on to Darwin by car and back twice a year for many years so i have had the experiences, petrol is availavle at Pot Augusta, Pimba( Near Woomera) a good place to stop and there is accomodation in the Old Officers mess done up to Motel style, Glendambo and several other spots on your way to Alice. Including a stop at Cooper Pedy well worth seeing you can also stop overnight in an underground house well worth the sight and experience.( There are several of them in the town)

Now a sealed road all the way as i have driven on the old dirt road so have expereinced both.

Now is the best time to travel as it is cool and there is plenty of wild flowers especially after a good rain.

The road from Alice to Uluru is now sealed and a very good road should take about 5 hors to get there i would recommend a booking for overnight as it gets very busy now up to late september especially during school holidays.

As i have said i have done that trip for work twice a year i have never had a problem except for nearly hitting a slow moving eagle enjoying his lunch of freshly killed Kangaroo.

The post about Aboriginals lying in the road awaiting an unexpecting tourist is all bull-----

The only tip i would give is dont drive at night due to straying cattle and wildlife and get petrol every stop.

Its a great trip and enjoy i am getting excited just thinking of it.

Panther

Short Term Accomodation in Marino

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lulujim
Done the trip twice! First time we drove from Adelaide and stayed in a cave overnight in Coober Pedy....brilliant! Took 16 hours driving time to get to Alice. Alice to Ayers Rock is 4.5 hours. Kings Canyon is fantastic. Petrol is expensive (obviously as its in the middle of the desert) but still cheaper than England!! There is petrol at all the main places but just make sure you fill up when you can, don't think I won't bother here I will get some down the road instead because there won't be any!!! quote]

We're thinking about doing the drive to Coober Pedy - using the hubby's company car )free petrol ;)) Are the petrol stations ones you can use the fuel card or are they all individually owned if you know what I mean??

Thanks, Alexis

Done the trip twice! First time we drove from Adelaide and stayed in a cave overnight in Coober Pedy....brilliant! Took 16 hours driving time to get to Alice. Alice to Ayers Rock is 4.5 hours. Kings Canyon is fantastic. Petrol is expensive (obviously as its in the middle of the desert) but still cheaper than England!! There is petrol at all the main places but just make sure you fill up when you can, don't think I won't bother here I will get some down the road instead because there won't be any!!! quote]

We're thinking about doing the drive to Coober Pedy - using the hubby's company car )free petrol ;)) Are the petrol stations ones you can use the fuel card or are they all individually owned if you know what I mean??

Thanks, Alexis

HI JUST GOT BACK FROM ALICE SPRINGS ALL THE PETROL STATIONS ARE

A MIX OF VARIOUS STATIONS

EG CALTEX BP AMPOL AND SHELL SO IT DEPENDS ON YOUR CARD

COOBER PEDY IS OKAY JUST TO STOP OFF AT OR OVER NIGHT

<IF YOUVE NOWT NICE TO SAY SAY NOWT>

:nah: