Hi Everyone

Guest jujo

We are moving to Adelaide in October and are hoping to settle in Grange area. Would love to hear from anyone who has recently settled in South Australia or is about to. Any advice/tips re location, schools etc would be greately appreciated. My name is Julie (39)Hubby John (41) is a plasterer and daughter Grace (10)

Guest the_harpers

Hi Julie,

Good luck with the move!!! Hope all goes smoothly.

We are flying out on Sept 14th. My partner is a plasterer too. Has your hubby got worked lined up?

Take care

Danielle

Guest ralph n bev

Hi Julie John and Grace,

welcome to the site and good luck with the move over in October!! Bet your all excited.

Hope all goes well for you.

My hubbies a builder , were going for the 136 visa , Brickie by trade.

We've got 3 kids and 2 of them are 10 !!

Have you been to Adelaide before? I was wondering why youve chosen Grange, ive looked on the property sites at grange , infact we had it on google last night.

Its on our" to visit list" along with many other suburbs!

God knows how we are going to fit it all in .

We think we want to settle in the North East of Adelaide, but obviously havn't a clue where we will end up , hopefully after the recci we may have some idea, but that may confuse us even more!!

Has John got a job to go to?

Is that why youve chosen the west? Or have i got the totally wrong area??

Bev:D

Guest mOZzy

hello julie and family - and welcome!!

sorry no advice on areas - we are not out yet .. hopefully by april next year!!

just wanted to wish you luck and a smoothe ride over :)

Hi

Welcome to the site!

I think the main thing to do when it comes to finding somewhere to live is to find somewhere pretty central for the first month and drive round to see which areas you like, whether it be north or south.

Lea

Guest dglamoore

Hi Julie and welcome to PIA :D

Can't offer much advice on Grange I'm afraid as not been there apart from driving through :D When you get here and have a good drive around as often what looks good online may not appeal once you arrive. We ruled out nearly all of our list we had picked from the UK and now live somewhere we had not considered :o

Have a look round the schools too - you will get a vibe as to if it is good or not. One persons view of good may not be the same as someone else's.

Lisa:cool:

Guest Guest75

Hiya Julie and welcome to PIA.

Grange has some really nice houses and areas.

I have driven through it a fair bit but have no first hand info on it.

Hi Guys and welcome to PIA.

Sorry, I don't know this area so can't give you any info but I'm sure someone else on here will know it very well!

Good luck

Judi x

Hi Julie,

Good luck with the move!!! Hope all goes smoothly.

We are flying out on Sept 14th. My partner is a plasterer too. Has your hubby got worked lined up?

Take care

Danielle

Hi Danielle, thanks for your reply. No John hasn't got any work lined up and to be honest doesn't expect to have anything sorted out before we arrive. Has your husband got a job lined up?

We have recently been talking to some friends who moved to Brisbane earlier this year about the licensing and registration that tradespeople need to work in Australia. I am currently checking this out to see if we can arrange this before we arrive. If you haven't already looked all the info you need is at www.ocba.sa.gov.au

Are you going to Adelaide? We have just booked our flights for 12th October.

Take care

Julie

Hi Julie John and Grace,

welcome to the site and good luck with the move over in October!! Bet your all excited.

Hope all goes well for you.

My hubbies a builder , were going for the 136 visa , Brickie by trade.

We've got 3 kids and 2 of them are 10 !!

Have you been to Adelaide before? I was wondering why youve chosen Grange, ive looked on the property sites at grange , infact we had it on google last night.

Its on our" to visit list" along with many other suburbs!

God knows how we are going to fit it all in .

We think we want to settle in the North East of Adelaide, but obviously havn't a clue where we will end up , hopefully after the recci we may have some idea, but that may confuse us even more!!

Has John got a job to go to?

Is that why youve chosen the west? Or have i got the totally wrong area??

Bev:D

Hi Bev, thanks for your reply.

We have been to Adelaide before, just over two years ago we spent three weeks there. We travelled around and tried to see as much as possible but obviously it's very difficult to see everything! We liked Grange and I have checked out Grange Primary on the internet and it looks very nice. We want to live by the beach but also be close to the city centre which is why we have chosen the west.

John hasn't got a job lined up and to be honest we don't expect him to have one before we arrive. We have booked our flights for the 12th October so not long to go!! We are going to rent for at least a year when we get there to make sure we are in the right place.

Are you planning a holiday once you have your visas?

Best of luck, and I hope you hear about you medicals and police checks soon!

Take care,

Julie

Hi Julie

Welcome to the forum.

We arrive in Adelaide on the 30th August.

We don't know where we want to settle yet but are drawn to the south.

Good luck with your move.

Paula

Hi Paula, good luck I hope your move goes smoothly. Have you been to Adelaide before? We are arriving on the 16th October!!

Take care,

Julie

Guest Bex & Nick

Hiya

We live just down the road from Grange, in Henley Beach. It's a lovely place and it's easy to get into the city from there too. Feel free to ask questions!

Bex

hello julie and family - and welcome!!

sorry no advice on areas - we are not out yet .. hopefully by april next year!!

just wanted to wish you luck and a smoothe ride over :)

Hi, thanks for your reply. Good luck to you too! I hope your visa application goes smoothly!!

Take care

Julie

Hiya

We live just down the road from Grange, in Henley Beach. It's a lovely place and it's easy to get into the city from there too. Feel free to ask questions!

Bex

Hi Bex, thanks for your reply. We spent three weeks in SA a couple of years ago and really liked Grange and Henley Beach areas!! We love the idea of being close to the beach and the city. how long have you lived there?

Guest the_harpers

Hi Julie,

My partner got in touch with quite a few companies through http://www.yellowpages.com.au . He just called lots up and he has got two jobs lined up for when we get there. Steve's acutally a fibrous plasterer but can do normal plastering to. We have looked into licensing, and was told that you don't need a license to work for a firm, just if you want to work for yourself. To get the license? he was told you need as much info as poss. such as, references, photos and proof of work. The TRA is not enough.

If you need anymore info or your partner would like to chat to Steve about it pm me.

Yep we're off to Adelaide on Sept 14th, flying with Singapore - not looking forward to flight with 2 children (4 and 1).

Good luck with your move, have you sold your house in uk yet?

Take care,

Danielle xx

Hi Danielle, thanks for your reply. No John hasn't got any work lined up and to be honest doesn't expect to have anything sorted out before we arrive. Has your husband got a job lined up?

We have recently been talking to some friends who moved to Brisbane earlier this year about the licensing and registration that tradespeople need to work in Australia. I am currently checking this out to see if we can arrange this before we arrive. If you haven't already looked all the info you need is at www.ocba.sa.gov.au

Are you going to Adelaide? We have just booked our flights for 12th October.

Take care

Julie

Hi Danielle, many thanks for advice re licensing. We had been speaking to a friend who recently moved to Brisbane and either he has got it wrong or perhaps the rules are different in Brisbane, but he was under the impression that everyone needed a licence! I will also be taking a look at the yellow pages site.

Good luck with you flight, we have flown to Adelaide before with Singapore Airlines and found them really good, and hopefully the children will sleep most of the way.

Yes we have sold our house, only this week mind you, so are keeping fingers crossed that all goes through smoothly. Have also booked flights this week and booked shippers, so no going back now!!! Keep having a little panic and asking myself if it's the right thing to do!

Take care,

Julie