how to find somewhere to live

Guest marcus1

Guest marcus1

Hi guys. I'm moving to Adelaide in a few months and I was hoping someone could tell me the best way to find somewhere live or if there is any place that helps people find homes when they first arrive.

Thanks

My advice would be to get a short term rental and then decide where you want to live once you're here - unless you know that already of course! A few people on here rent properties out and lots of people have booked a temporary home so can give you ideas. Are you moving here on your own?

Jo

Its a difficult one, when or if you have never been here before. We hadnt, so we had to decide whether we wanted to live near the coast, hills or city. We always wanted to live near the sea and my husband job would most probably be in the city - so we just started to look at areas that were roughly 45 mins away from city and near the coast - and looked for houses within our price range.

Thats how we did it - we ended up in a nice house and area - Seaford Rise, that was 4 years ago and we have since moved closer to the sea to Moana.

Failing that - get a pin and stick it in the map!

Sarah

If you're looking for a house share then go on Gumtree, or Realestate.com.au if you're looking to buy or for a rental. My advice if you're just arriving and won't have your own car at first is to live either in or near the city, or somewhere with good public transport links that run outside of just standard office hours. Being near a tram or train can be really useful - see Adelaide Metro website to check out maps. The Glenelg tram runs from 5am ish until after midnight everyday every 15 mins or so into the CBD and our slightly north west of the city into Hindmarsh.