Where to go??

Guest mike&zelda

Guest mike&zelda

Hi guys, my names Mike(im 20) and my wife's names Zelda(she's 21). We're from a small town in Cumbria called Silloth. We were thinking of applying for a visa for Aus and thought Adelaide would be a great place to stay ( Sorry England but your quite boring ;) ). We werenjust wondering were is a good place to start out? We want quite a tidy area to stay in ( you know not like a rugged/ high crime rate area) and a nice atmosphere. We had a look on a map and found a place called Prospect, don't know if you've heard of it, which sounds okay, but really you can't trust the netn and wanted to get some REAL advice. We would really appreciate your help guys and we're looking forward to keeping touch,Mike and Zelda

Hi guys, my names Mike(im 20) and my wife's names Zelda(she's 21). We're from a small town in Cumbria called Silloth. We were thinking of applying for a visa for Aus and thought Adelaide would be a great place to stay ( Sorry England but your quite boring ;) ). We werenjust wondering were is a good place to start out? We want quite a tidy area to stay in ( you know not like a rugged/ high crime rate area) and a nice atmosphere. We had a look on a map and found a place called Prospect, don't know if you've heard of it, which sounds okay, but really you can't trust the netn and wanted to get some REAL advice. We would really appreciate your help guys and we're looking forward to keeping touch,Mike and Zelda

Hi

Small world, we're also from sunny Silloth,moved here 2 yrs. settled in Aberfoyle Park. It's in the South, nice, quite place and good school nad not far from the beach.

Hi, Prospect has some lovely, older-style properties on quite large plots (called 'blocks' here in Oz, as a 'plot' is where you are buried, apparently) and some lovely leafy avenues. It is well located within easy reach of the city centre, and has a nice 'high street' and some excellent schools nearby (for a few years down the line for you guys possibly!) Like a lot of suburbs around Adelaide though, it does have some less salubrious residents here and there so worth checking out the area in person and walking around at various times of day before making a firm decision. You could easily live there and get in and out of the city on public transport, bicycles etc, and not necessarily need a car.

Adelaide is pretty lively for a few months of the year, when all the festivals are on, but most of the time it's a quiet, sleepy, old-fashioned place, so don't come over expecting bright lights and a big city - if you find England boring, you might find Adelaide worse! There are lots of nice cafes and restaurants in North Adelaide - which is the suburb between the CBD (City Business District) and Prospect - so if you like that sort of thing you'll be fine. Plus there are three universities in and around Adelaide so there are night spots and a live music scene that are aimed more at younger people, but if you're looking to move here for shopping, excitement, or career progression....well, let's just say Melbourne might tick more boxes!!

Not that Adelaide doesn't have a lot going for it, just depends what your lifestyle is, and what you're looking for!

Guest mike&zelda

OMG!! Small world!! Must know your family. Our last name's Blake, do you know our family?? Will check Aberfoyle out, what abour Coronmandell Valley?? Thanks for help :) Zel

Guest mike&zelda

Thanks Diane, that's some thing to think about, but I think we might stick with Adelaide , and the somewhere near the city might suit or lifestyle better. Oh and the universities, we'll need to have that in mind to. Cheers Zel

We are the Wilson's, My Grandad and Dad used to own the Garage opposite the school. I know a couple of Blake families in the town. I went to school with Jim and my brother was at school with Peter. As for Coromandel Valley, it's a lovely area to live as well. When we first came over we initially stayed in Blackwood before moving to Coromandel Valley for a year. If you need more info don't hesitate to get in touch, you can always PM.

Guest zamunda

Hi Mike & Zelda

We are not in Adelaide yet. Hoping to move over sometime next year.

Before making our choice on where to settle down in Oz we did some looking around and we ended up liking Adelaide over Melbourne and Sydney.

Over the past several years we have been visiting Oz and spent a few weeks at both these places.

We can't stand the erratic weather in Melbourne and found the lifestyle in Sydney way too fast paced for us. Though must say, from a career point of view Melbounre and Sydney are far better.

It all depends on what your lifestyle is (you both are lot younger than us:wink: )

For us Adelaide was "striking the balance. A bit of everything.

All the best and hope to meet up with you both one day.

Guest mike&zelda

Oh your the Wilsons! Oh we heard of you! I think my dad went to school with Mark. His name's Will. But I grew up in Dalston and moved over here a few years ago, so you probaly won't know me. But as for Zel, (her real name's Natalie, but everyone calls her Zelda, so they'll probaly know her,as Zel) she grew up here, so you might know her. She lived in Allonby for a year. Her family used to own the local chippy. And by the way, she's not related to Betty&Kenny Blake. Thanks for the help with Coromandell, we'll have a look,Cheers, Mike ;)

Guest zamunda
Thanks Zamunda, We also found that out with Melbourne and Sydney :) (great mings think alike ;) ) Appreciate the help,Mike

Hi Mike

You are quite correct on the "great minds" part :D

Hopefully, by the time you both move over to SA we would have settled in. Would be a pleasure to be part of the welcoming party to you both.

Keep us posted on the progress of your visa.

This forum is a great place to gather information. People are so friendly.

We are not Pommies but just love this place. Have gained some valuable information and also made some good friends here. All that remains is to move over and then meet these individuals in person.

Cheers