Another new family moving soon!

Guest Nick & Jo

Guest Nick & Jo

Hi everyone

We have been viewing this website for several months now whilst deciding the best way of emigrating. All of your comments have been really useful and as we have now decided on our plans, and with the news that decent bands are performing in Adelaide (yes I am a Durannie!! but will not be there in time sadly...) I thought it was about time we introduced ourselves.

We are Nick and Jo and our daughter Lucy is nearly 9, we're based near Bristol. We decided to take the plunge after visiting Adelaide last May/June to see Nick's many relatives over there, all descending from one uncle who emigrated in 1922 (we met 47 in 3 weeks!) It is me, Jo who is applying under a student visa to do a degree in accountancy, so we'll only be on a temporary visa for the next 3 years.

We are just waiting for confirmation of dates for my TAFE diploma which starts in July, then after completing that, I will be on an intensive 18-month course to complete the degree. (I know, I must be mad...)

So yes we are anxiously waiting for offers on the house and researching places to live, schools for Lucy, and trying to decide do we take furniture or buy out there? And getting nervous about leaving family etc.!!

Anyway I hope we can get to know a few of you over the next few months and if there are any more concerts of a similar nature in Adelaide I will definately be there (the eighties were always the best decade of music after all, although Nick would disagree), also your ladies days sound fab too.

Bye for now!

Jo and Nick

P.S. Hope this thread works, have never used a site like this before!

Guest Django

Hi Jo,

Yes it does work.:) Welcome to PIA. Hope you find it useful. We certainly have. Good luck with it all.

Pete

ps Late 70s was the best for music. ;):biglaugh:

Guest Guzzler&Sas

welcome, welcome, welcome

if you have been looking in for a while, we are off in 2 weeks to see 2/3s of The Jam - can't wait!

Good luck with all your plans.

Sas

xxx

Guest Libby1971

Hello

Welcome to pia!

Glad you like the girlies days out - I am sure we can squeeze in or two for when you get here.

I am stunned that you plan to do a degree in eighteen months. Doing a degree in 3 years just about killed me!

Libby

Guest deborah

I saw Duran Duran on their first come back tour and an unknown band at the time 'scissors sisters' were supporting them! I have to say that John and Simon still looked good.

I wonder if Led Zep will ever play Adelaide!! The tribute band maybe!!

Debs

Guest caoimhe
Hi everyone

It is me, Jo who is applying under a student visa to do a degree in accountancy, so we'll only be on a temporary visa for the next 3 years.

Hi Jo and welcome to PIA

Was wondering if you could give me some advice :jiggy: do you know anything about studying for professional accountancy exams in Adelaide

I was going to start my ACCA here but as we are hoping to be in Adelaide by end of year thought I should wait till I get there. Any info would be great

Thanks Jacqueline

Guest theshearers

Was wondering if you could give me some advice :jiggy: do you know anything about studying for professional accountancy exams in Adelaide

I was going to start my ACCA here but as we are hoping to be in Adelaide by end of year thought I should wait till I get there. Any info would be great

Thanks Jacqueline

Hi Jacqueline

I am ACCA here in the UK and you can still study for that qualifaication in Oz as far as I am aware as it is an internationaly recognised qualification. I would contact them to ask about tuition providers in SA.

However it may also be worth contacting the ICCA (Institiute of Chartered Accountants Australia) to find out what the option are.

Hope this is of come help

Vicki

Guest Nick & Jo

Hi Jacqueline

I chose to go for the accounting degree to get the 60 points on the skilled list. I've been working in accounts and payroll for last 15 years but never got past A levels at school, so our agent suggested going on a student visa and studying for a skill that would earn the maximum points. When I first applied for the 3-year degree at Flinders Uni, they came back to me to say they wanted me to do a 12-month foundation course before starting the degree. As I'm 41 next month, the timescales for applying for a permanent visa were just too tight, so 'Study Options' - the educational consultants who work with our agents - found that if I did do a 2-year TAFE diploma in accounting, I could then complete the degree in the next 18 months. From research I have done on the web, qualified accountants from Oz travel all over the world to work so it must be a recognised qualification similar to those acquired in England.

I just hope I'm up to it!!

And don't feel too old..!

Jo

Guest Nick & Jo

Hi Debs

Yes I saw them too whenever it was when the Scissor Sisters were supporting them and I had never heard of them either! The last time I saw Duran was when I was about 16 and I was right at the back of the NEC in Birmingham and couldn't see a thing! (They didn't do big screens in the old days!) This last time was at Cardiff Arena, we were much closer to stage and yes they still look amazing!

Not sure about Led Zep though, the lovely Kylie might be a better alternative for me!!

Jo

Guest caoimhe

[

Hi Jacqueline

I am ACCA here in the UK and you can still study for that qualifaication in Oz as far as I am aware as it is an internationaly recognised qualification. I would contact them to ask about tuition providers in SA.

However it may also be worth contacting the ICCA (Institiute of Chartered Accountants Australia) to find out what the option are.

Hope this is of come help

Vicki

Thanks Vicki

I have emailed ACCA 5 times in the last month and NO reply and can't get thru on the phone. I know I can study but wasn't sure if I could sit their exams in Oz. I might look into ICCA as I really don't care which body I study for. Only thing is I qualified with Institute of Accounting Techinans in Ireland last year and could get a couple of excemptions with ACCA

Guest caoimhe
Hi Jacqueline

I chose to go for the accounting degree to get the 60 points on the skilled list. I've been working in accounts and payroll for last 15 years but never got past A levels at school, so our agent suggested going on a student visa and studying for a skill that would earn the maximum points. When I first applied for the 3-year degree at Flinders Uni, they came back to me to say they wanted me to do a 12-month foundation course before starting the degree. As I'm 41 next month, the timescales for applying for a permanent visa were just too tight, so 'Study Options' - the educational consultants who work with our agents - found that if I did do a 2-year TAFE diploma in accounting, I could then complete the degree in the next 18 months. From research I have done on the web, qualified accountants from Oz travel all over the world to work so it must be a recognised qualification similar to those acquired in England.

I just hope I'm up to it!!

And don't feel too old..!

Jo

Hi Jo

I know how you feel, I am 40 and just went back studying after the kids came along. I think I may end up being the oldest trainee accountant in the world at this rate :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest Nick & Jo

I'm sure I'll be picking your brains over the next few weeks once I can figure out the best way of using this forum! What is the difference between the 'Quick Reply' under each message and the 'Post Reply' at the bottom of the whole thread? Which is the best way so everyone can read the replies easily?

Also I thought I'd inserted a photo, but that doesn't seem to have worked! I'm always logging in late in the evenings after spending a whole day at work on a computer so perhaps I should have a go one weekend morning when I'm more awake!

I haven't even dared tried to use those smiley things...

Jo

Guest theshearers

Thanks Vicki

I have emailed ACCA 5 times in the last month and NO reply and can't get thru on the phone. I know I can study but wasn't sure if I could sit their exams in Oz. I might look into ICCA as I really don't care which body I study for. Only thing is I qualified with Institute of Accounting Techinans in Ireland last year and could get a couple of excemptions with ACCA

Hiya

I looked on the ACCA website and there was a link to the Australian ACCA so as far as I am aware you could sit the exams in Oz. http://australia.accaglobal.com/

I did AAT years ago and that gave me exemptions from the first part so if you can use your previous quals to get exemptions then I would go for that.

I hope you manage to get things sorted soon. Its so frustrating when you can't get answers.

Good luck with it all

Vicki x