reccie advice.. where to stay with baby?

Guest hannahf

Guest hannahf

As we are going to be applying for a 475 state sponsored visa we have decided to make a reccie to adelaide later this year, prob in November. We have thought long and hard about this and have decided that as we are going out on this visa if we don't like it we are stuck as we won't be able to move elsewhere. This way we can also put in our application that we have a trip planned so are showing some form of commitment. If we are refused I am not sure what we will do....

Financially we are going to have this as our summer holiday (just a bit later) and not use an agent which we were going to do. We will be travelling with an 18 month old, read some useful stuff on here about which airlines to use, therefore I am looking for suggestions about where to stay. Was thinking of using tripadvisor but to be honest we would rather try and pick up some local contacts by boarding with a family or in a small guest house.

Any suggestions, advice thoughts would be more than welcome..

Guest graandjac

;)Hi welcome to PIA, not sure if this is aloud under the advertising act:biglaugh: but we stayed with Guzzler and Sas off this site , they have a great rental and its in a nice quiet spot for the little one 10 mins drive from beach , shops and everything else you might need have a quick look through the site and you will find them.

Good luck cheers Graham

Guest graandjac

:arghh:And there was me thinking we had got rid of all the stupid comments on the site, and when i last looked they wanted advice on where to stay in ADELAIDE..... !!! Cheers Graham

Guest Lulujim

Hi there,

Just wanted to say 'hi'. We're also going out to Adelaide on a 475 state sponsored visa. I'm not sure there are many of us around and it's difficult to hunt them down (!) as 475 is too fewer characters to put in the search box! What profession are you going under? We are 'Business and Information Professionals'. Unfortunatley we aren't able to do a reccie as am pregnant at the moment, and hope to get visa at about Christmas and go as soon as we get it.

Hope you'll report back on your findings!! Notice you're not uing an agent, we have as am anxious about the whole process, so if you need any help with the SA Sponsorship stage just yell, hopefully we'll be bale to help!

We flew to oz last year with our daughter who was 10 months old then - and when we fly next year we will have an 8 month old and 2.5 year old :arghh: Glad you've found helpful advice about flying on here, my only tip would be to try and book night flights to make it as easy for yourselves as possible. We flew via Singapore outwards, and Hong Kong on the return journey. All night flights and our daughter slept pretty much the whole way there. Obv when you get there with the time difference it's prob night time there, so you can't always win - but as long as the flight is made as easy as possible, it helps a lot!

Good luck!

Guest Trakki
Go to Brissie if you've got a choice

Ranger why don't you make your love of brisbane useful by going onto http://britsinbrisbane.com/ I'm sure they will be more appreciative of your knowledge.

Hannahf I can't help with the rental info but I do know that if you look on the rental bit that Mozzy mentioned there will be some on there that provide cots. Hope that helps and look forward to seeing how you get on

Tracey

I thought the intention was to immigrate to AUSTRALIA, if you carry out research you can make an evaluation of the Pros AND Cons for each city/state. Each state basically comprises of one major city with some smaller towns, because of this there is a hierarchy of cities i.e.

1. Sydney

2. Melbourne

3. Perth

4. Brisbane

5. Canberra

6. Adelaide

7. Darwin

8. Hobart.

This hierarchy reflects the economical, social and environmental differences between each city, and thus each state. The higher up this structure you aim the greater your chance of successfully emigrating. This is not to say that there may not be problems wherever you go, merely that the possibility of success MAY be greater elsewhere. Therefore rather than saying we are going to Adelaide come hell or high water, weigh up the factors impartially without becoming emotionally involved and decide which is most likely to lead to you emigrating successfully. This is not meant to be a downer against Adelaide, personally I love the city, it’s cleanliness etc, and it may mean that there are specific or personal factors such as family, friends, job offer, which make it the best location for you. Don’t forget you are immigrating to another country not just a city, there’s enough interstate rivalry in Aus already without adding to it.

I'm sorry but I think your ranking of the states represents the view of an Easter seaboarder. Perth and Darwin are so far from everywhere else , they have a different flavour. Darwin is tropical. Canberra is much more small townish than Adelaide ever was, it was built to house parliament and the city centre itself is about the size of a market town. They only recently got an International flavour. Adelaide's rich are usually not as ostentatious as those of elsewhere, but there is a lot of hidden wealth here. Sydney is massive and why bother moving to a city where you live 2 hours out of the centre because that's where you can afford. You may as well live in any other big city, like London etc. Darwin is actually the fastest growing city, it's booming. You just can't rank the cities here like that. It is no help telling people who are coming to Adelaide to move on as quickly as poss, they obviously want info on Adelaide at the moment because a lot of em seem to be getting brownie points for opting for Adelaide.

Each city is different. Each state is different. They can not be placed in a hierarchy using social, economical or environmental factors. What produces a good economy in one geographical area will not in another, and socially.....well people are people wherever you go. South Australia is a quiet achiever, often leading the forefront in legal areas, research, the arts, safety and environmental issues.

I know you are trying to tell people to take a wider look at the whole country and what there is to offer, but these people are coming to Adelaide now and that is what they need to know about, not that elsewhere is better.

Rachel

Guest Django
I thought the intention was to immigrate to AUSTRALIA,

It is. However, most people on this forum have already decided Adelaide is the place for them hence the title of the forum. Those that haven't yet decided tend to use http://www.pomsinoz.com/ and either stay on that site or move to this forum or the corresponding one for their destination.

if you carry out research you can make an evaluation of the Pros AND Cons for each city/state.

I think you are somewhat assuming that people have just picked Adelaide as somewhere to go on a whim. I, like many on here, researched all the possible destinations every evening for a 2 month period. Although you list Sydney or Melbourne is the places to head to they fall way down on our the list.

You are of course correct. Brisbane does appeal and ticks most of our boxes. For me, in the end, it was a choice between Adelaide and Brisbane. What swung it was the climate and the changing seasons. However, all aspects in all cities and suburbs were considered before we made our choice. After we made this choice we joined this forum.

Pete