What not to miss!

Linda21

I can't think of any 'unmissable' events coming up really. Its term time for the schools so perhaps not much going on for older kids in the week. That's not to say there is nothing happening, there is always something going on, just a case of researching, planning and heading out. During the week you could do some sightseeing stuff like Cleland wildlife park, Mt Lofty and the hills (some lovely places to stop for lunch, take a tour of a winery, head to the beach if its warm, check out Glenelg. Head to Port Noarlunga and its reef, go for a hike up Waterfall Gully (pick a cooler day and take plenty of water as its steep and can get hot), hit one of the outdoor pools (again, if warm enough). Victor Harbor, where Granite Island is are worth a day out. Combine Victor with a drive down to the Murray Mouth (Coorong National Park) and Goolwa, its all good.

A full day out can be taken up with the CBD and hitting Central Market (closed Mon and Sun) then head along and through Rundle Mall down to the museums (free entry) from there a wander along to the Botanic Gardens (about a 10 minute walk) then an amble along the river Torrens and one of the tourist boat trips along a part of it if you fancied it and perhaps even nip in and see Adelaide Oval.

I'd also say go to Port Adelaide and do a dolphin spotting boat trip. An hour trip is ample, they know where to look for them and you usually see some. Although saying that it can happen you don't spot any but its not an expensive trip and its lovely to do on a warm day. Take some food with you I suggest and grab a table in the shade and have a picnic while you dolphin spot. IIRC is cash at the ticket office which opens when the boat returns to dock, so about half an hour before the next trip. Then after the boat trip a wander round the area and see some lovely old shipping buildings, boats and other things. - http://www.portprincess.com.au/dolphins

I'd have a scan of these for October and November events

http://www.weekendnotes.com/adelaide/

http://www.au.timeout.com/adelaide/

Central Market - http://www.adelaidecentralmarket.com.au/

River Torrens - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Torrens

Most events are going to be over weekends so check around and see what appeals. Keep in mind that getting from north to south and vice versa isn't just a quick drive, it can be 45-60 minutes or more even depending on where you are travelling to and from. So don't try to do things placed far apart in one day unless you are prepared to spend a chunk of it travelling.

Also don't forget to try to look at things from a non tourist POV also. Yes its a holiday but its also good to look at things from the living there perspective rather than the tourist one. Spend time taking in the suburbs you travel through, make notes so you can remember where you liked the look of so you can research more at a later date. Be aware the suburban sprawl is pretty vast but getting your head round it isn't so bad. There are very different areas and you may not see them all, so keep an open mind.

I know some of the beaches are holding 'have a go' surf life saving days this weekend. We went last weekend at brighton and it was a fantastic event. It's only a nominal charge of $2 per child and will give your kids an insight as to whether they'd like to pursue it as a hobby when you eventually settle. One of the members put a link up the other day about it so you may be able to find details on here otherwise Im sure a quick google search will help. I'm sure most of the SA surf life saving clubs are holding these days... Good luck :)

We went to Urimbirra Wildlife park over the holiday; it's just outside Victor Harbor and is small enough that you can fit it in as part of your day trip down there. It only has native animals and the kangaroos are super friendly, they have Kangaroo Island kangaroos which are really pretty and smaller than the greys (I can't remember if they were Eastern or Western) that were also bounding around. Almost all of the females had a joey :) They have koala shows too where you can stroke them - but I don't think you can hold them.

And you can catch the Cockle Train between Goolwa and Victor Harbor but it's only running on Sundays and Wednesdays at the moment - you can get off in Port Elliot if you'd rather and see if you can spot any lingering whales (we haven't seen any this year though).

I'd certainly second Port Adelaide as somewhere to visit, it's one of my favourite areas of Adelaide (along with the Central Markets) - go into the tourist information up there; they're really helpful and there's a lovely courtyard at the back that often has activities or displays going on. The lighthouse there is worth a climb; it's really cheap but you get to look back towards the hills and if you're waiting for the boat trip it kills half an hour. And if you drive up to the Port along the coastal suburbs you get to see Henley, Grange, Semaphore (also worth a wander along the shopping strip and jetty, if you have time).