Guest sforbes

Ielts

Guest sforbes

Hi there

This is my first time on here and am looking for some help if possible.

I am due to sit my IELTS test on Sat 11th July in Plymouth and am getting a bit anxious about it - does anyone have any pointers or could give me some thoughts on the test - I think I am most concerned about the reading part of the test.

If I don't pass this we won't be getting to Adelaide (no pressure there then!)

Thanks alot for any advice and help

Sharon

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi Sharon,

First of all, stop panicking! you can resit the test as many times as you like till you get the right score.

The test is not hard, If you are british born and have been to school and learning English through out your school years you will be fine. and if you don't make the grade, then re-book the test.

Good luck

Barry

Guest sforbes

Hi Barry

Thanks for your post - I know I should stop worrying but things have happened faster than I expected (getting state sponsorship) and having to complete the test and send results within 60 days is seeing me sit this much faster than I anticipated hence the reason travelling from Scotland to Plymouth! Anyway thanks for the good luck message!

Guest sforbes

Hi Barry

I am taking the general test - I know that it is in four parts and I am awaiting the practice material however I don't know if I will receive it in time to enable me to practice. I have just achieved my post grad diploma in Human Resource Management so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a struggle but I have looked at some practice papers on line and "tied myself in knots" a bit with the reading element.

Thanks for the info in regard to test dates - I vitually contacted every venue in the UK to try and get on a course in July!

Thanks once again

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi Sharon,

The reading one is easy, I personally found the writing one hard. If you have just completed a diploma then you will be fine.

Barry

Guest Pies
    Hi Barry

I am taking the general test - I know that it is in four parts and I am awaiting the practice material however I don't know if I will receive it in time to enable me to practice. I have just achieved my post grad diploma in Human Resource Management so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a struggle but I have looked at some practice papers on line and "tied myself in knots" a bit with the reading element.

Thanks for the info in regard to test dates - I vitually contacted every venue in the UK to try and get on a course in July!

Thanks once again

There are sample questions and exercises on the IELTs website: in truth, you don't need to do much more than that. Listen carefully to the instructions, take it seriously and you will be fine: hear what you are saying about the reading test: take what is on the page literally, ask yourself, am I making an assumption or is the info on the page? If info not on page, then that would be the incorrect answer!!

It will all be fine: IELTS was first exam I did in 18 years......

Guest mack

Hi

Im jus booking my test. For the photos to go with it says they have to be signed. Im trying to find whether need to hav that done by an authorised person as in official documents? or do they mean simply my signature....thanks so much if you reply soon

Hi Sharon,

First of all, stop panicking! you can resit the test as many times as you like till you get the right score.

The test is not hard, If you are british born and have been to school and learning English through out your school years you will be fine. and if you don't make the grade, then re-book the test.

Good luck

Barry

Guest mack

Hi im about to book my test

It says to have the photos signed, bt i'm not sure whether they mean by an authorised person or simply myself to sign the back

Thank so much if you reply sooon!

Hi Sharon,

Good luck

Barry

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi Mack,

As far as I am aware, YOU sign them, You have to take your passport with you also so they just check the photo against your passport to make sure you are who you say you are, stops others doing the exam for you I guess.

hope this helps.

Barry

Guest sforbes

Hi Mack

I am sure that I signed the photo's myself, you do need to take your id with you on the day so I reckon it is just a double check for them.

Good luck!

Hi

Im jus booking my test. For the photos to go with it says they have to be signed. Im trying to find whether need to hav that done by an authorised person as in official documents? or do they mean simply my signature....thanks so much if you reply soon

Guest mack

Hi ok yup, sounds good then, thank you for quick response.

Guest thekings
    Hi there

This is my first time on here and am looking for some help if possible.

I am due to sit my IELTS test on Sat 11th July in Plymouth and am getting a bit anxious about it - does anyone have any pointers or could give me some thoughts on the test - I think I am most concerned about the reading part of the test.

If I don't pass this we won't be getting to Adelaide (no pressure there then!)

Thanks alot for any advice and help

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

How did you get on with your test? I've got to do the academic version but I've got a little while yet.

Guest sforbes

Hi Jonathan

I did fine in the test, I only had to do general training and scored 8.5 for listening, 9 for speaking, 8 for writing and 7.5 for reading - therefore I overall achieved the required banding and as I thought it was the reading element that I struggled most with.

One piece of advice would be to buy a practice book and do a few of the tests - there are plenty on amazon for sale.

Hope it goes well, I am sure it will.

Cheers