Guest The Blaxlands

Fridges? do we bring it or leave it behind!!

Guest The Blaxlands

Hi all

has anyone got any advise about bringing a fridge over from Uk. We're hoping to be on our way in a couple of months if house sale goes through ok and are unsure about bringing the fridge. One removal agent has advised no as it's over 6 years old and another has said it should be ok!! HELP!!!!!!!!!

many thanks

Sue:confused:

Guest Sharon and Paul

HI Sue, Because of the cost of shipping we packed our fridge in the container. I think the fridges are expensive here, Our fridge was only 1 year old , We looked at a couple of rentals and the fridge was to big for the space in the kitchen, thankfully we got a rental that will accommodate it. So if you got room in your container bring it .

Guest Kazzarazza
    Hi all

has anyone got any advise about bringing a fridge over from Uk. We're hoping to be on our way in a couple of months if house sale goes through ok and are unsure about bringing the fridge. One removal agent has advised no as it's over 6 years old and another has said it should be ok!! HELP!!!!!!!!!

many thanks

Sue:confused:

Hi guys,

We, and all our friends over the years, have all been told not to bother with fridges - so that's what I tell people too. UK fridges won't survive an Adelaide summer - not powerful enough and will overheat. Aussie fridges probably cost more because they are built to be more powerful (like the US fridges)

That may have changed with newer technology but I certainly haven't heard if it has.

Cheers, Kazza

Guest nishman

The age thing is to do the nasty refrigerants/foam that harm the Ozone. I think you'd need to go back further than 6years - the EU banned them a while back. Bottom line - it needs a sticker on the back saying it's CFC free otherwise it won't be shippable.

As for them not working, our little unit (getting on for 10yrs old now) keeps the beers cold enough for me, and the matching freezer is great as a back-up for spockpiling all the meat when it's on special at the supermarket. When the AC failed a couple of years ago, the fridge from OZ struggled to keep up the pace! Nothing much likes 40°C in the house (I remember the computer kept crashing too!)

I'd say if you've got space, take 'em. You can always get another when you're here, and keep it as a spare (i.e. beer) fridge :)

Guest Trakki

I would definitely bring it, we regretted not bringing ours and since being here have been told that the UK ones would not 'struggle' with the temp, they do what they are supposed to do. If you have got room and can, bring it.

Hi

I've read in moving to oz self help book that fridge freezers are not to be imported! This may be becuase of the HFC , CFC's thing best check it out.

Gas types R502,R12,R22 and others Bad. R134a,R404a and others better.

jim&nik

Guest TRIMIX
    I'm with Kazza on this one. Don't bother bringing your fridge, it simply won't cope with the heat, especially when it's 40+ degrees.

This is a complete myth and a load of rubbish, it will survive the summer and if it was built after the mid nineties there is no problem with refrigerants. All fridges after this date are "the better ozone friendly types".

Post the type of refrigerant on here and there is a link on the governement website that tells you which can and cannot enter. Also check the insulation it should be blown with the same type of refrigerant.